Indochina Encompassed Tour ATIE

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Indochina Encompassed Tour ATIE

Postby EB » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:44 pm

We are looking at taking this tour. The only aspect that concerns me is the long drive back from Cambodia to Thailand and the fact that it indicates it is about 5 hours on a bumpy road. Has anyone taken this tour? I would like to know how bad the road is and how comfortable the seats are as I have minor back problems.
EB
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby janer » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:11 pm

I took this tour back in 2006. Yes, the road was pretty sketchy. At the time we went, it was actually being paved. Perhaps, it is done by now? I thought it was bearable. I'm a light sleeper, and I even fell asleep on the ride back. The buses you ride in are good, and they are the same type of bus through the whole tour. So when you take your first few rides, you could assess whether the seats are comfortable enough for you.
Anyway, if this concerns you, just talk to your leader and they can arrange a short flight for you back in to Thailand (for some extra cash). We had a fellow passenger do that, as she had concerns about the drive back as well.
janer
User Rank: Traveller

Postby EB » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:15 pm

Thanks very much for the information. Did you enjoy the trip? What was the highlight/low point of it?
EB
Vancouver Island
EB

Postby ballu » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:21 pm

I was on "the dancing road" in November...sadly it hasn't been paved yet. I found it bumpy but fine. I didn't feel car sick or anything. If it's any consolation, the scenery is beautiful.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby janer » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:20 pm

EB wrote:Thanks very much for the information. Did you enjoy the trip? What was the highlight/low point of it?
EB
Vancouver Island

Yea, it was really fun and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's hard to choose. I couldn't really tell you if there were any low points in terms of all the places we visited. A low point for me was when I had travelers sickness for 3 days.
I thought the whole trip was very well thought out and we had a good amount of time in each place to do everything I wanted.
janer

Postby EB » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:51 pm

A low point for me was when I had travelers sickness for 3 days.
I thought the whole trip was very well thought out and we had a good amount of time in each place to do everything I wanted

Janer (or anyone else) could you please tell me how you handled being sick? I assume you mean you had diarrhoea and it occurs to me that a long bus ride would be the worst place to get this. Does the driver allow for bathroom breaks and if you are in the middle of nowhere I assume you disappear into the bush and need to bring your own toilet paper? Should this go on the list of essentials?
Thanks! EB
EB

Postby ballu » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:46 pm

I didn't have any major problems...but I did take a few immodiums along the way. I always have toilet paper on me as it's not usually available in public restrooms. I usually just rake a bunch off the hotel bathroom rolls and keep it in a plastic baggie in my day pack.

There should be a few bathroom stops along the way on long jouneys, and if you need one in between, just let your guide know.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby janer » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:25 pm

EB wrote:
A low point for me was when I had travelers sickness for 3 days.
I thought the whole trip was very well thought out and we had a good amount of time in each place to do everything I wanted

Janer (or anyone else) could you please tell me how you handled being sick? I assume you mean you had diarrhoea and it occurs to me that a long bus ride would be the worst place to get this. Does the driver allow for bathroom breaks and if you are in the middle of nowhere I assume you disappear into the bush and need to bring your own toilet paper? Should this go on the list of essentials?
Thanks! EB

Yea, I had it pretty bad. Unfortunately, I had it on the bus ride from Hue to Hoi An. The bus driver made a stop for me at a dirty out house, but it worked. I was saved for a few hours with immodium, but I still had cold chills along with a fever. Definitely take toilet paper with you everywhere......and hand sanitizer.
janer

Postby anewman » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:30 am

Just got back--the road is still lousy and largely unpaved. Also not much to see ( what you can see through the dust clouds). I have recommended in my evaluation that GAP get rid of this bus trip from Siem Reap to Bangkok and fly instead. We were given the option to fly, but it would have cost about $400 (US) for me and my wife to fly. would consider flying--perhaps would be cheaper if you could arrange through GAP before you go.
anewman

Postby EB » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:24 pm

I have recommended in my evaluation that GAP get rid of this bus trip from Siem Reap to Bangkok and fly instead.
Thanks for the tip!! EB
EB

Postby anewman » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:41 pm

By the way--we also loved the trip. We did not do the Viet Nam arm of the trip. Neither of us got sick (neither travellers diarrhea or carsick) and we ate everything. I felt the restaurants recommended were largely safe. Have to be careful about eating at street vendors where there is no water for hand washing. It was a great experience--especially Cambodia and Laos. It is going to be very hot in April (it was hot in the south in January!), or so I hear. Should check avg temp in these countries before you decide when to go. Have a great time.
anewman

Indochina Encompassed June 16-July 14

Postby Stan and April » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:13 am

Hello friends
We are Stan and April and we are on the trip for all sections. We've overlanded with GAP before, from Nairobi to Livingstone Zambia and love this way of travel.

We are from Central Coast California, south of Big Sur and are both teachers.[/b]
We love travel above all things
Stan and April

Re: Indochina Encompassed Tour ATIE

Postby Natty » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:47 am

We just got back from doing this tour yesterday... I must say the drive wasn't bad at all!! The cost to fly would have been $175US. There's only about 1 1/2 hours of bumpy roads left and unless you go right after a rain storm you should be fine. We found a 8 hours bus ride in Laos worst! haha

Happy Traveling!!
Natty
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby JanaZ » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:29 am

Natty is right. We also just returned from the same trip and I don't believe the the road from the Siem Reap was the worst. The road in Laos Natty mentioned is much harder to take, especially if your stomach is not ok. I am glad we didn't fly from Siem Reap as we would have missed the experience (to see the rural Cambodia).
Have fun!
Jana
JanaZ

Postby JanaZ » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:38 am

One more on the stomach problems many do suffer during traveling. Talk to your doctor, but from our experience, if one or two doses of Immodium don't help, one dose of antibiotics will save you a lot of hardship and useless visits to local doctors. They are apparently trained to treat the locals (from indigestion from eating too much spicy food). Both, me and my husband had the stomach problems, but with the help of antibiotics we were fine in a day or two. Maybe beer Lao will work for you, as it did for some of our friends on the trip...:-)
JanaZ

Next

Return to Asia