I need help choosing a bag!

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

I need help choosing a bag!

Postby nichola867 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:19 pm

Hi everyone,

Hope someone can give me a bit of advice - I'm looking for a rucksack for my Thailand on a shoestring trip in Nov and one of my main criteria's was that I'd like one with a detachable (yet comfortable) day pack so I don't have to carry around two separate bags. The rucksack itself I don't imagine I'll be carrying around too much other than between destinations (please correct me if I'm wrong - it's my first trip!) so the day pack (and a decent sized one to carry my dslr in) to me seems like it'll be more important.

So I've found two that look pretty ok. They aren't top of the range or anything but they look like they'll do the job. Has anyone had any experience with these, are they durable, comfortable, convenient? I know they are pretty cheap for a rucksack but I also don't want it to fall apart on me as soon as I step off the plane!

Vango Freedom 60 Plus 20 Rucksack
Karrimor Global Venture 55+15 Travel Bag

Was a little concerned 60l was going too big for a 16 day trip but am planning on keeping it as light as poss.

Thanks for your advice!
Nichola
nichola867
User Rank: Weekender

Re: I need help choosing a bag!

Postby lr25 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:30 am

hey.
my first trip was a year in new zealand and i took a 65 litre vango backpack with me. i didnt really carry it around too much but when i did it wasnt the most comfortable although the quality of the bag is fab! i was carrying a lot of stuff and there isnt a tear or rough patch in sight.
im doing my next trip around asia for 2.5 months through g adventures tours. i do believe that they say that you do have to carry your bag at least once a day for around 15-30 minutes.
i bought a lowe alpine bag(37 litres) that is designed for women. its very comfortable and you can really shift the weight of the bag around which is great cause it doesnt feel like its sitting on your shoulders all the time. as for a day pack im only taking a largish handbag.
the Vango one cost me only £40 on sale but the other one did cost £100. its expensive but at the end of the day carrying something comfortable is key.
hope this is of some help. enjoy your trips:)
linsay
lr25
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby nichola867 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:56 pm

Hi Linsay, thanks for the reply! I'm not too worried about it being mega comfortable as I'm thinking really its only 16 days - if it were a longer trip I'd prob invest in something a little better but for a first trip and carrying it 15-30mins a day, if that's manageable then it should be ok (I'm saying that now, will prob think otherwise when I actually get there!)

I would prefer a better day pack I think as this is what I imagine I'll be carrying for the majority of the trip.

Good to know the Vango held up though, very important lol! :)
nichola867

Postby nikimarcotte » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:25 pm

I prefer having a bit bigger bag, so I don't have to pack carefully, everything fits easily. I usually go with it not very full, but then if I happen to find stuff I really want to buy, I have lots of room to bring stuff home :)
nikimarcotte
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby nichola867 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:37 pm

Hi nikimarcotte, that makes me feel better as I decided to buy the vango which I was worried might be too big. But it has arrived and it may be first bag excitement but it looks fab, looks good quality, lots of fancy buckles and zips and pockets, think it should be a really good pack. And good price too. so far cant complain so we'll see how it goes in the field! :)
nichola867

Postby mojowp » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:54 pm

Hi,

The only thing that I would suggest is a back pack with wheels and a detachable day bag! The soft pack is easy and most of the lugging is done in an urban setting (from the bus to accommodation or vice versa).

The day pack should be big enough to serve as an overnight bag too. On our trips, sometimes we were not permitted to bring the big packs and had to have a bag big enough for our toilettries, sleeping and next day's clothing).
It's the journey, not the destination.

mojowp
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby nikimarcotte » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:04 pm

my only criteria is that a backpack NOT be toploading....must unzip the whole face of it....so much easier to pack and get random items out without having to repack constantly. a daypack is definitely handy as well. my first backpack had 4 huge pockets on the outside which I also loved, but definitely not as secure, as those extra pockets don't always lock.
nikimarcotte

Postby nichola867 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:15 pm

Well this Vango one opens up like a suitcase which from what you're saying is useful so that's good, and also comes with a 20l day pack attached which seems big enough to fit all my required bits and pieces in for the day to day stuff (believe this is the only bag we can take on the hill tribe trek so confident I can get what I need in the 20l...she says lol).

On first impressions of the Vango anyway and reading the kind of things you like in a good backpack, apart from the lack of wheels it seems like it'll do a good job.

Am slightly worried about losing all my belongings in some internal pocket I'd forgotten the bag had, but otherwise think I'm good to go!! Roll on November! :) :)
nichola867

Postby jeanbean » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:04 am

The other big issue is setting up the pack for your body size/shape. A low hanging pack will drag you down and make your trip uncomfortable.

Also do some reading on how to best pack your pack! It sounds so simple but a well packed, correctly fitted pack makes a huge difference!
jeanbean
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby curly_fries » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:13 am

Hi Nicola,

I did Thailand on a Shoestring last November, you'll have a great time. One word of warning for the hill tribe trek, you will have to carry a sleeping bag. My day pack only just about fitted mine in. You could rent a bigger bag & sleeping bag off the tour leader (I think it was less than £1).

I'm off to Vietnam and Cambodia this October/November and was just wondering where did you get your Vango bag from? It's on my short list of potential bags as well.

Katy x
curly_fries

Postby nichola867 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:18 pm

Hi Katy,
I got mine from Amazon. I think if you got it you'd be pleased with it but obviously I've yet to put it to the test! Interesting on the sleeping bag front too, if hiring a bigger pack for the trip is an option tho then I'm sure it'll be fine, thanks for the warning! Have a great time on your next trip!

Hi Jeanbean, yea that's a really good point, I'll do some research into how to go about packing the best way - any personal tips? It also does have some kind of back adjuster to fit your height which might be handy but not quite figured out how to work it yet.

I'm quite excited now that I've bought all my big things like shoes and clothing and already packed in the Vango, so now's the tricky part to know what to take in terms of accessories/toiletries and what I can just buy when I'm there. Being cut throat and deciding what I need and what I don't really need will be hard to keep my pack light! My main accessory will be the camera so might need to compensate for that a little!
nichola867

Postby nikimarcotte » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:12 pm

the only thing I found hard to purchase in asia was lotion or sunscreen...everything had BLEACHING/WHITENING agents in them. I also usually bring a variety of medications from home that I know work for me....very hard to find equivalents in a foreign country..i even had issues in Europe finding medications that did what I needed.
nikimarcotte

Postby nichola867 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:33 pm

Ah ok medication and such bring from home, check. I got a bit excited yesterday and bought a load of bits and pieces that I think pretty much covers everything I think I'll need. A lock for my bag, first aid kit with blister plasters!, sleeping bag liner etc etc so think other than my medication bits and toiletries I think I've got the main things ticked off the list :) ...is it still only August...geez!
nichola867

Return to Asia