Delhi to Kathmandu Trip- money questions

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Delhi to Kathmandu Trip- money questions

Postby siobhanwood » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:58 am

Hi,

I am travelling on the Delhi to Kathmandu trip which leaves this Wednesday! I am a little confused as to the best way to take money. My plan was to split my spending money budget into thirds, and therefore take a third English pounds, a third US Dollars and leave the other third on my Visa Debit card.

Can anyone tell me if this seems a sensible way of doing things, as I'm unsure on the favoured currency, as well as things such as ATM charges!

Thanks

Siobhan

Ps. Coming from England.
siobhanwood
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Delhi to Kathmandu Trip- money questions

Postby collywobbles » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:45 pm

hi siobhanwood

I took euros with me and my credit card. So You should be fine with Sterling. Change enough money at the airport. There is a money change desk just before you come out to the main door. When you finish your trip try and use up as much of your rupees so you don't have a load of them. The airport in delhi refused to change my rupees back to euros or any other currency. There are plenty of money changers around. and there were many stops at atms to withdraw money. I think you should bring most of it in cash. I know some of my group had problems withdrawing from atms. it was mainly with their cards. I do know we had to pay 25 usd for our visa at the border in Nepal. So you may want to bring a small amount of USD. Just an Idea. You can use your visa debit card to pay for optional activities. Indian rupees will be taken in Nepal as well. Its is a fab trip and hope you have a great time. I hope this helps :D
collywobbles
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby vanalan » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:47 pm

I there any reason why I wouldn't just get rupees before leaving home? That seems simpler (and maybe more reliable).... also a lot of the trips talk about bringing USD... my intent had been to bring rupees? Is there a reason why I ought to bring USD to India??
vanalan

Postby Fieter » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:48 am

Hi Vanalan,

I was under the impression that you couldn't bring rupees in or out of the country...

Happy travels!

Sophie
Fieter
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Return to Asia