China on a Shoestring - vaccinations

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

China on a Shoestring - vaccinations

Postby chrismacca » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:26 am

Hi all,

Advice from past or future travellers on China tours - do most people who have been on tour get Japanese encephalitis and/or rabies jabs?? I had just planned on getting the standard Hep A, typhoid etc as will be there for less than 3 weeks and I don't think too much time is spent in rural areas on the shoestring tour.

I was advised to get further jabs for the two above but not sure whether this is because they are a private clinic so want the $$$. Would welcome info from anyone with past experience.

Thanks,
Chris
chrismacca
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: China on a Shoestring - vaccinations

Postby IndyGent » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:47 pm

Hi Chris,

I did a two week highlight tour of China in 2011. Beijing, Xian, Guilin, Yangshuo,Suzhou, Tongli, and Shanghai.
I wasn't visiting rural areas so I didn't need to be concerned about Malaria or Japanese encephalitis.
With regard to Rabies they tell you just not to pet the doggie no matter how friendly he is.

Most people, myself included, hadn't had shots since high school and never thought that some shots only last a year or two and some last ten years before you need a booster. It's probably a good idea to get a booster shot for Typhoid. With Hepatitis "A" you get one shot and if you get another one a year later, you are protected for life.

I never encountered any unsanitary conditions on my route through China. The food was excellent and everywhere was thoroughly scrubbed. You'll see.

All the best,
IndyGent
IndyGent
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Return to Asia