Malaria tablets for Essential China Tour

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Malaria tablets for Essential China Tour

Postby michelle2003 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:02 pm

Hi,

I'm soon setting off on the Essential China Tour and I'm getting very conflicting information about whether or not I need malaria tablets for the tour especially Chengdu, Leshan, Chongquin, Yichang, Guilin and Yangshuo areas. Any advice would be much appreciated!!!!

Thanks
michelle2003
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Malaria tablets for Essential China Tour

Postby coqui14 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:34 pm

From CDC - China

Areas with malaria: Rural parts of Anhui, Guizhou, Hainan, Henan, Hubei, and Yunnan Provinces. Rare cases occur in other rural parts of the country <1,500 m (4,921 ft) May–December. None in urban areas. Some major river cruises may go through malaria-endemic areas in Anhui and Hubei Provinces.

Estimated relative risk of malaria for US travelers: Low

Drug resistancec: Chloroquine, mefloquine (see Map 3-11).

Malaria species: Primarily P. vivax, P. falciparum in select locations.

Recommended chemoprophylaxis: Along China-Burma (Myanmar) border in the western part of Yunnan Province: Atovaquone-proguanil or doxycycline.
Hainan and other parts of Yunnan Province: Atovaquone-proguanil, doxycycline, or mefloquine.
Anhui, Guizhou, Henan, and Hubei provinces: Atovaquone-proguanil, chloroquine, doxycycline, mefloquine, or primaquine.e
All other areas with malaria, including river cruises that pass through malaria-endemic provinces: Mosquito avoidance only.
coqui14
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Re: Malaria tablets for Essential China Tour

Postby devinb » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:46 am

Hi there,

I am going next month. The travel doctor I visited, whose advice I trust because he's been in the business for over twenty years, did not think malaria is a significant risk given my itinerary (including the Yangtze cruise). He advised that I wear insect repellent in rural areas, though. But if a doctor (and not just a regular person) advises you to get a shot, you should take their advice.

Definitely get your Hep A if you haven't already. It only cost me $60 plus a $40 consult fee. I also got a free tetanus shot (yay!). I asked about Hep B but apparently I got that back in grade school.

Also, I've been advised to not get bit by any monkeys...

Devin
devinb

Return to Asia