Indian and Nepalese currency questions

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Indian and Nepalese currency questions

Postby mike433 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:03 am

Hi,

I'm doing Delhi to Kathmandu adventure followed by the Trekking Annapurna. I've literally discovered that both India and Nepal have closed currencies so I really need help and advice with getting some. From what I have read and general common sense I figure the 2 ways of getting it are ATM's and exchanging other currencies so heres a few questions:

1. Are the rates favourable at ATM's?
2. What is the best foreign currency to bring? US dollars, Euros or British pounds (I am British by the way)
3. What sort of places will get you the best rates?
4. Do you have to haggle for a your rate?
5. Is it quite easy to get ripped off or end up with fake notes?
6. Can you actually get smaller denominations?

Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated

Mike
mike433
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Indian and Nepalese currency questions

Postby desiree2 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:05 pm

Hi Mike
It's been 4 years since I went to India but I just took some US dollars (I'm Australian) and changed some at the airport to get me started. I then just used the ATMs to withdraw money. Most financial institutions charge a fee for overseas transactions so you might want to check that out. Otherwise just withdraw enough for a few days and the fees aren't really worth worrying about. There are a number of threads on this issue too, so you may want to have a look at those.
Desiree
desiree2
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby Zuleika » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:01 pm

As yr British take pounds, no point in wasting money over a double transaction.
Yes count your money carefully at an exchange, as they will try to rip you off.
The rate should be on a sign. No haggling.
Exchange enough for a taxi from the airport and do the rest when u get to town.
ATMs are plentiful and easy to use. I usually use these and keep 2 or 3 hundred pounds for emergencies.
If your trekking there are NO places to exchange money on a trek so you need to bear that in mind. Your leader will tell u how much you need per day but add a little if you like a beer or 2 at the end of a hard days slog!!!!
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby dhitaldiwash » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:26 am

You can exchange on many places you want. But you may not want to exchange all at once. You can exchange on airports and if you are travelling by bus there are a lots of counters at the borders of you can also use banks. You can also use ATM but be sure you know how much money you will need for that particular day or trip. I would prefer US dollars if you already have for exchanging and don't waste money for exchanging from one currency to another.
dhitaldiwash
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby collywobbles » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:46 pm

Hi

I brought Euros with me on this trip and had no problem changing it.. get some rupees at the airport as I did. Plenty atms around.. I did find that extra activities they preferred dollars ie the Everest flight which I was lucky to have brought with me but you can also pay with credit card. Just another thing you should know that if you are flying home I note you are from the uk so you would be flying into London is that if your flight is going from delhi the duty free at delhi airport wont take any rupees you may want to get rid of.. They only accept usd which is crap . I had some rupees left and I tried exchanging them at the airport and they refused to take them. They basically said spend them in the shops. ha :evil: Smaller shops took them but not the duty free. just thought you might like to know.

Ps. Nepal also take the Indian Rupees.

enjoy the trip . its a great trip. Try the paragliding in Nepal. awesome!

cheers
Collywobbles.
collywobbles
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to Asia