Experience with flight from Siem Reap to Bangkok et al......

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Experience with flight from Siem Reap to Bangkok et al......

Postby curatsu » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:20 pm

Hello all,

A good friend and I are on the Essential Vietnam and Cambodia trip which starts in Hanoi on July 20, 2013. This will be our third GAP tour (oops G Adventures). Love GAP!

Since our time is so limited, we are contemplating taking a one hour flight from Siem Reap to Bangkok on our 15th day rather than participating in the 7 hour bumpy bus ride and one hour border crossing that some of the folks here really didn't like. Anyone want to play devil's advocate and tell me why this is a bad idea for an extra $150/head?

I'm trying to get GAP to share with me the potential hotels that we might be staying in Siem Reap to at least gauge the distance to the airport and whether or not it is realistic to catch at 9am flight that day.

All my best,
Suzanne
curatsu
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Experience with flight from Siem Reap to Bangkok et al..

Postby avonord » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:04 pm

A friend went on a similar trip, and she told me the crossing of the no-man's land between Cambodia and Thailand is an experience in itself. But I can also imagine how unpleasant the 8hr ride can be.

I'm also going on the AHEH tour next month on the 16th. I'm looking forward to experience this. For me, it's all part of the adventure. :)
avonord
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby mjackson425 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:54 am

I am also curious about this. I'll being doing the Essential Cambodia trip in October, and I'd like to know whether this is possible and what, exactly, I'd be missing on the bus. Anyone have any idea?
mjackson425

Postby desiree2 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:49 am

Hi
It's been 11 years since I was in Siem Reap but back then the town was quite small so all hotels were the same distance to the airport. Of course, it may have changed quite a lot since then. I took a flight from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh and that was an adventure in itself! The plane descended within 15 minutes of taking off and all I could see either side were paddy fields and water buffalo. It turned out that we had to take an unexpected detour and landed in some tiny airport with only one runway which I couldn't see from the window. When we took off, the plane filled with smoky haze so thick that I couldn't see the door to the cockpit even though I was only 7 rows back. I also had to change seats as my original one didn't have a seat belt!
I'd take the plane if it gives you more time to sightsee elsewhere
Desiree
desiree2
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby kiwikoalabaer77 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:33 am

I have been to Siem Reap twice, the first time in 2005 individually, the second time 2011 on the Cambodia Experience tour which is the cambodian part of the Essential Vietnam and Cambodia tour. The first time I flew from Siem Reap to Bangkok, the second time I went with the group on the bus.

It shouldn't take you much more than 30 minutes from the hotel to the airport in Siem Reap. There are two options for flights. You can either take Air Asia which is the cheapest option but it means that you will land in Bangkok on the old airport Don Muang. The infrastructure there isn't the best anymore so the way into the city is best by taking a taxi. Or you choose another airline which will cost you a lot more but will take you the international airport Bangkok Suvarnabhumi from where you can take Sky train and the MRT to the tour hotel.

But I agree with avonord: the boarder crossing between Cambodia and Thailand is an experience itself and the ride from Siem Reap to Bangkok isn't too bad. The streets even in Cambodia are mainly paved and in Thailand we were comfortably taken by minivans.

Vanessa

Stories and photos from my travels: http://www.travellingcolognian.com/
kiwikoalabaer77
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to Asia