Essential China 18th August - weather?

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Essential China 18th August - weather?

Postby shergold79 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:41 am

Hi

I am looking at booking on the Essential China trip starting 18th August. I have no other option of when to travel due to work/college commitments. Therefore it is then or never!

I am a little concerned about the weather as I am aware that September/October are better months to travel.

Can anyone advise me on their experiences of this trip at that time of year? Was the rain awful?

I really want to go but do not want the trip to be ruined by the weather!

Jules
shergold79
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Essential China 18th August - weather?

Postby kathrync » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:14 am

I have just returned from the Essential china tour (2nd-21st june) we had poor weather for the first few days (overcast in Beijing, rain in shanghai and Xi'an) but then it got hotter and hotter. Then when we got to Hong Kong a Typhoon warning was raised so it was wet and windy. but really you are so busy on the tour that the weather doesn't spoil things - we only missed out optional trips up a skyscraper and a river dinner cruise in Shanghai as our CEO said it would be a waste of time / money. also we changed the route for the trek at Mt Emei because of the mist but the walk we did was fantastic so no-one was bothered we didn't get to the summit.
It is a long trip and you go to so many different parts of China that you wouldn't expect the weather to be great or the same throughout.
kathrync

Postby elearq84 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:01 am

I went to China 3 years ago from 18th August to the 5th of September. We visited Shangai, Pekin, Huangshan Mountains, Guilin, Yangshuo, Longshen... and the weather was nice! It was warm but not oppressive, and it rained only 2 days (one in Shangai and the other when we were in a small village near Huangshan Mountains) but it wasn't for a long time and not strong. So don't worry. Go and have fun! There are hundreds of things to do and see and, as kathrync has said, the weather won't spoil your experience! It's an extraordinary country... you'll love it!
Have a good trip!
elearq84

Postby shergold79 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:40 am

Hi both. It is reassuring to know that the weather didn't impact the trip. Thanks for your replies. We are booked on this tour now - very excited! :-)
shergold79

Return to Asia