should I bring a sleep sack?

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

should I bring a sleep sack?

Postby gkat » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:08 pm

I'm doing the Thailand Experience tour in July. We'll be all over - Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Hilltribe trek, beaches. I'm wondering if I need to bring a sleep sack with me. Honestly, I don't even really know what that is or where to get one. I like to travel light so don't want to bring something that isn't necessary. Thanks!
gkat
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: should I bring a sleep sack?

Postby desiree2 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:31 pm

Hi
I'm guessing a sleep sack is a sleeping bag liner. If it is, that is a basically two bits of material about 80 cm wide and 2m long joined on three sides with one of the smaller sides left open for you to get into. It's used to line a sleeping bag or for use as a sheet in dodgy accommodation. Silk ones are best (although more expensive) as they can be folded into a small pouch and don't weigh much. I've slept in some dodgy places without a liner and survived (maybe I'm just unappealing to bed bugs etc :) ). You'd be able to buy one in a camping store.
Desiree
desiree2
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby ballu » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:48 am

Probably not necessary but may be useful on the trek (I haven't done this tour so I'm not sure). They're sold at pretty much any outdoors store. Silk ones are more expensive but take up a lot less space in your pack.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby Zuleika » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:10 pm

it was pretty cold inthe hills at night during the trek i did, i needed a full sleeping bag - but that was in November, not sure about July - would be worth looking into.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Return to Asia