Flights to Bangkok/Vietnam

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Flights to Bangkok/Vietnam

Postby cosmoskld » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:51 pm

Hey All,

Im just about to book my Cambodia on a string trip for Oct, and then realised that I would need to book 2 single flights?

My tour starts in Bangkok, so would fly directly there, and then finishes in Vietnam. I have had a look at the cost of 2 single flights and they are almost the cost of a return flight each :shock: What have others done previoulsy? Would anyone recommend travelling back on my own to Bangkok for a return flight?

Thanks

Kerry
cosmoskld
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Flights to Bangkok/Vietnam

Postby lj2013 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:47 pm

My tour in August starts in Hanoi and end in Saigon. I just booked my flights through GAP at the same time as I booked my trip and used the $100 discount that's available. It worked out at about the same as a return flight.
If you want to book a return I guess you have to consider the extra costs involved in getting back to your starting point. If you're looking at travel, hotel stay and meals...is it worth it. Not to mention the extra hassle.
~LJ
lj2013
User Rank: Weekender

Postby part_mermaid » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:08 pm

Hey,

I've done this sort of journey many a time and it makes far more sense (from the UK at least) to book returns into/out of Bangkok and then a single between Hanoi and Bangkok. Look at Air Asia or shop around on SkyScanner for that flight. It'll cost well under £100.

Enjoy : )
part_mermaid

Postby sus » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:27 pm

Hey

I booked multi city flights through STA, flying from Heathrow to Bangkok and back from Hanoi :)
It was a bit more expensive (about £50) than booking a return to Bangkok and a single flight between Hanoi & Bangkok but I now have better flight times...

Hope this helps!
Suz
sus

Postby missjeanbrodie » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:59 am

I booked a return to Bangkok when I did this trip, and flew Air Asia from Saigon to Bangkok. Very quick and easy, and I'm pretty sure it was only about £40.
missjeanbrodie
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby chrisa » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:39 pm

Yes I am on a tour that starts in Bangkok and finishes in Hanoi. Found a very good price for return ticket to Bangkok from UK, so booked that and then booked a one-way from Hanoi to Bangkok at the end of the trip. Qatar Airways were only slightly more expensive than Air Asia for this once luggage had been factored in (about £70), so I thought I'd give them a try!
chrisa

Postby nytim » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:30 pm

Go on to orbitz.com. Choose multiple cities. Enter your departure and arrival cities then for next flight, choose your departure from Vietnam
nytim
User Rank: Nomad

Postby collywobbles » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:57 pm

Hiya :D

I am doing AVEV trip in August starting in Hanoi finishing in Bangkok. I booked my flights with Cathay Pacific which I found to be fairly ok regarding prices. From Ireland to London to hong kong and onto Hanoi arriving in the morning :D Leaving from Bangkok in the evening to Amsterdam to Ireland . I usually book return flights because they usually work out better than single flights. A good way to work up air miles :lol:
collywobbles
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby avonord » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:53 pm

I'm also on the AVEV tour, and here are my flights (Korean airline).

Getting there: Toronto -> Seoul -> Hanoi
Coming back: Bangkok -> Seoul -> Toronto

Bought the tickets 4 months ago, and it costed about CAD$1950. It's expensive, but cheaper than Cathay at the time.
avonord

Postby part_mermaid » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:35 pm

Ooh, good shout going with Qatar! They're a great airline and have the odd very competative fare. The standard by far exceeds AirAsia (although I quite like them all the same). Enjoy, it'll be fantastic!
part_mermaid

Postby sinecure » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:17 pm

We used Cathay and created an open jaw trip that had a day stop over in Hong Kong to explore. Started in Hanoi, then when our trip ended we booked our own flight on air Asia to get to Singapore. Explored Singapore and then our flight home was from Singapore to Vancouver on Cathay.
sinecure

Postby ceeceestar » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:45 pm

Hey Kerri when are you on the trip? I will be on Sept 9th 2013
Cheryl
ceeceestar

Postby curly_fries » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:17 am

Hi

I managed to get flights with Thai Air for around £700 direct to Bangkok and then Hanoi to Bangkok, Bangkok to London. To be fair there were a few with Cathy Pacific for £500 but I prefered a non stop route.

Katy
curly_fries

Return to Asia