Burma: Is it Safe?

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Burma: Is it Safe?

Postby t.o. megan » Mon May 27, 2013 6:20 pm

I was hoping on going on the "Burma Adventure" tour in the fall and was wondering how safe the country was to travel to.

http://www.gadventures.com/trips/burma- ... itinerary/

I've heard mixed reviewed from friends (people telling me not to go)...but I think they might just be being alarmist and going off news reports. I was looking at the itinerary and it seems unobjectionable enough.

I have been to South East asia (Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand) as well as China and Tibet before so am somewhat familiar with the area.

Is there anything I should be worried about?

Also - if you've taken the tour before let me know.
t.o. megan
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Burma: Is it Safe?

Postby desiree2 » Tue May 28, 2013 3:01 am

Hi
I went to Burma in January 2011. It wasn't with G as they didn't have the tours to Burma they have now. I visited Yangon, Mandalay, Bagan, Inle Lake and Ngwesaung over 17 days. I realise that things can change on a daily basis, but I didn't ever feel at all uneasy. I really can't remember seeing any gun-toting army personnel (whereas I did in India) or any unrest. We were asked on one occassion not to use our cameras but that was at a government roadside stop point.

The people are simply lovely. Although it was only 18mths since I went, tourism was just starting to develop and there was no one asking for money, extra tips or lollies. People asked to have their photos taken without wanting anything in return. A friend and I were really lucky to come across a festival in Ngwesaung where hundreds of Buddhist monks came to collect alms. Some locals gave us some of their offerings so that we, too, could take part. It was a very special experience.

I'd suggest you go now, to limit the number of pesky tourists that will soon going there in swarms. :D

Desiree
desiree2
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Re: Burma: Is it Safe?

Postby avonord » Tue May 28, 2013 10:30 am

I signed up to Vietnam and Cambodia tour with G this summer. In a way though, I wish I had signed up to the Burma tour instead. I say go there before the people and land get corrupted by tourists and capitalists.

There was a Burma special on Anthony Bourdain's new show, Parts Unknown, on CNN. You may want to try to find it to take a look. Seems that there are parts of Burma that are still off limit. But the parts in the tour are probably quite safe.
avonord
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Return to Asia