Best way to take money to South East Asia

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Best way to take money to South East Asia

Postby joey1992 » Wed May 15, 2013 5:53 am

I was just wondering the best way to take money to SEA. I shall be going to be Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos. I was considering taking a thomas cook cash card with GBP on it and just changing money as I go along.

Any help would be much appreciated :)
joey1992
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Best way to take money to South East Asia

Postby nytim » Wed May 15, 2013 8:11 am

Your bank card will work in many places but not all. If you get can them $ from the US are easiest to exchange. It is good to have a bundle of the local currency also as in many places this will be what they accept
nytim
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby desiree2 » Thu May 16, 2013 5:57 am

Hi
Take a debit/credit card (Visa seems to be widely used) and some US cash. ATMs are readily available in Thailand and Vietnam. ATMs in Cambodia only dispense US dollars apparently. Just change some money when you get to the local airport/border of the countries you are visiting. Make sure any US dollars you take are in perfect condition, preferably new otherwise you won't be able to exchange them.
Desiree
desiree2
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby agaden_reach » Fri May 17, 2013 4:41 am

Hi! I've been looking into this as well for Bangkok to Bali and I'm going to be bringing a "Travel Card" (which is the same as what you're talking about I think) - functions the same as a normal card but you pre-load money on it before leaving and there are much cheaper withdrawal fees, though it's true you pay to load the money onto it (that is, if you're not a student like yours truly :lol:). My bank (Commonwealth Bank in Aus) charges something like 3% for eftpos purchases and AU$5 for withdrawal fees from ATMs versus THB80 (~AU$2.70) for the travel card, so I know which one I'll be using 8).

Definitely worth asking your bank what their rates are, because it could get expensive very quickly (and you don't want to be carrying too much cash around)

Have an awesome time :).
agaden_reach
User Rank: Weekender

Postby part_mermaid » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:14 pm

Last year I started using the pre-loaded 'credit' cards you're all talking about. Mine's a travelex one and is branded as being a Mastercard debit card.

I travelled to Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia on it all without issues. I occasionally (only once or twice) found a machine that wouldn't accept it, but then inserted card into the next machine along (at Airports) and got cash no problems.

It helps to have some cash/alternative types of cards available, just in case, but I did just fine on that alone.

HTH some of you decide. Much better than travellers cheques/lots of cash!
part_mermaid

Postby i_schneider » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:37 pm

I travelled in Thailand, Cambodia and Laos. I took US cash, and i took my debit card and visa. My debit card DID NOT work in Cambodia, but my back up Visa did. Depending on where you are travelling to there may or may not be an ATM to withdrawl money. Our CEO was great at letting us know when we should take out money if we need it.
i_schneider
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby jerrym » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:04 pm

I Just got back from SEA. Great trip. Don't take too much cash b/c it is not too expensive there. I would take about $100 worth of local currency for the first country you enter and US dollar for the rest of the trip. My BOA atm card and credit card withdrawals worked fine everywhere from Vietnam to Cambodia and only charged about $2 per transaction. Just a thought. Good luck. It is beautiful in SEA. I cannot wait to go back!
jerrym

Return to Asia