Beijing to Hong Kong Express (ACBK)

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Beijing to Hong Kong Express (ACBK)

Postby missjeanbrodie » Sat May 11, 2013 5:25 am

Hiya

Is anybody doing the above tour (or similar China tours)? I am doing it in July and am looking for some advice. A couple of questions being:

To what extent should you cover up? (Sun worshipper :wink: ) And what kind of shoes are recommended?

How are the overnight trains? I've travelled by train in Vietnam and Thailand and loved it - are these similar?

Is there anything I should take that isn't immediately obvious (if you know what I mean)? I've travelled round SE Asia a bit, so have a fair idea what's needed, but just wondering if there are things you only need in China.

Thanks so much in advance! :)
missjeanbrodie
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Beijing to Hong Kong Express (ACBK)

Postby briwyn » Sat May 11, 2013 10:26 pm

Hi again,
The people I've talked to say Chinese women do not wear shorts so take light pants; my friends have worn sandals (Keen's), though. People there generally also wear hats and long shirts, or are under shade of an umbrella because they don't like tanning. They also wear bland colours.

I start my tour (15 days, China Adventure) on Saturday so I'll try to remember to post again when I get back, but friends said you don't really need anything out of the ordinary. The only thing might be if you want a sleep sheet in case the bedding in the accomodations or overnight train aren't up to your standards. I saw some posts in this forum suggesting silk sheets over cotton, and i would think that would be especially true in July! I haven't been on an overnight train in Asia before, but my understanding is 2 or 3 bunks on each side. Some people suggest taking a mug to have noodles in as you can get boiling water on some trains.

Happy prepping!
briwyn
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby jabram » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:32 pm

We are travelling on Beijing to Hong Kong express in July. Just thinking about packing. Wondered who else was on this tour.
jabram

Postby ballu » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:33 am

Please use our departure lounge section to look for fellow travellers:

viewforum.php?f=56
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu