Yangtze River/Three Gorges questions

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Yangtze River/Three Gorges questions

Postby smyry52 » Sat May 04, 2013 6:53 pm

I'm going on the Essential China trip at the end of June.

In the overview it says:
Water levels permitting, we'll bus to Wanzhou on the morning of Day 14 to board a Chinese boat for a journey through the mighty Yangtse River area. Spend 1 full day on board a basic boat traversing through the Three Gorges en route to Yichang. Along the way take the opportunity to visit some of the many attractions and towns. There is the opportunity to leave the boat to take an early morning trip down a tributary of the Yangtse River.

First, it says Water Levels permitting. Has anyone been there when the water levels didn't permit? What happened? Did you board a boat somewhere else or skip these 2 nights all together?

Second, if anyone did this specific trip, what attractions and towns do you have a chance to visit? I like to have at least a little background on what i'm doing and this part seems really vague to me.

Thanks
smyry52
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Yangtze River/Three Gorges questions

Postby marnie_12 » Wed May 15, 2013 12:51 am

Hi
I did this trip in November. Based on MY experience the Yangtze River cruise will go like this:
Day 1: Spend the morning exploring Chongqing, take a 3 hour bus to Wanzhou boarding the cruise ship around 9 pm.
Day 2: At 6 am the ship will stop for anyone who would like to disembark for a 3 hour trip to White Emperor City which has apparently inspired famous Chinese poetry. The trip will cost you something between 140 - 200 yuan. No one on my trip took this option as our guide did not recommend it (apparently it's really for the Chinese tourists) but maybe google it to decide for yourself. Note: If you and your room mate choose not to take the trip make sure you turn off the speakers in your room (they will blast at 5:30 am to wake everyone up). Once everyone is back on the ship the cruise will commence through the Three Gorges. At some point you will get on a smaller boat to visit the lesser three gorges. From this small boat you will get on to a raft to visit the Shennong Xi. Late in the evening you will get back to the cruise ship. At night there will be a dance and fashion performance by the cabin crew in the bar/karaoke area.
Day 3: Disembark early in the morning. Take a bus to the train station for an overnight train to Guilin. On this bus ride if you pay the driver extra he will stop at the Three Gorges Dam.

I'm pretty sure this is the tour we took: http://www.yangtze-river-cruises.com/sh ... tml#anchor

Have fun
Marnie
marnie_12
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Return to Asia