What bag size to take??

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

What bag size to take??

Postby lr25 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:06 am

Will be doing 3 g adventures tours in Asia over 2.5 months. I currently own a 65 litre backpack which I took to New Zealand for a year. The thing is I know that it's way too big for this adventure and was wonderin what sort of size are others taking? I was thinking around 45 litres??
It'll need to fit on sleeper trains and ill be taking it on various internal flights too.
Thanks! :)
lr25
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Re: What bag size to take??

Postby nytim » Wed May 01, 2013 11:04 am

As clothes and toiletries are so cheap in Asia, I thing the smaller bag is better.
nytim
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby Zuleika » Fri May 03, 2013 4:29 pm

65l is fine for me - i have travelled on trips from 2 weeks to 3 years in duration - its all i can comfortably carry in any case without it getting on my nerves
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby emmsie » Sat May 04, 2013 7:14 pm

Hi

I had a 60l backpack (was on a rtw trip) with a 10l daysack (and an 18l bag I use as my actual daypack) which was fine.

I'd even say I had some of the smallest/lightest luggage compared to others, some even brought SUITCASES!!!
emmsie
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby luckyluke » Tue May 07, 2013 5:05 am

Depends how much stuff you want to take and what you are happy carrying around but if you can fit all you want/need in the smaller bag I would say go for that. Always better and easier to travel light. And as suggested above it is also easy to buy some essentials abroad if it makes travelling light easier.
luckyluke

Postby amymags » Sun May 26, 2013 2:45 pm

This is all very reassuring. I'm also going on 5 trips in 10 weeks around Asia and am planning on taking a 65L rucksack and 18L day sack. Will this be OK on sleeper trains and internal flights? It will definitely be under 20kg.

Also, I was wondering about bag security on buses and trains. I was considering buying a mesh cover but these are heavy and expensive and I worry they might attract thieves. What has been people's experience of securing your bags while you sleep on a train at night?
amymags

Postby fingerprint » Mon May 27, 2013 4:43 am

Hi,

I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts and experiences on securing rucksacks as they don't seem to align themselves very well with padlocks. Or at least the ones I was looking at in the shop yesterday.

The shop suggested the mesh and I may be resigned to getting one if I can't find a suitable rucksack with zips to take a padlock.
fingerprint

Postby kcupp95 » Mon May 27, 2013 7:14 am

fingerprint wrote:Hi,

I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts and experiences on securing rucksacks as they don't seem to align themselves very well with padlocks. Or at least the ones I was looking at in the shop yesterday.

The shop suggested the mesh and I may be resigned to getting one if I can't find a suitable rucksack with zips to take a padlock.

My backpack has a zipper, so you lie it down and unzip it like its a suitcase, and I've no problem securing it with padlocks. It's a little bit more bulky than the ones that you stuff, but does the job well.

Don't know what country you're in, but something like this you should be able to padlock easily
http://www.kathmandu.com.au/packs-and-b ... -grey.html

I was able to padlock the main bag, the day bag and then the day bag to the main bag with no dramas.
kcupp95
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby fingerprint » Mon May 27, 2013 9:56 am

Awesome.

I'm in the UK but it's food for thought.

I don't think the shop I was in yesterday had a very good range on offer.

Any other suggestions? Shall do some hunting on the internet.
fingerprint

Postby kcupp95 » Mon May 27, 2013 11:38 am

fingerprint wrote:Awesome.

I'm in the UK but it's food for thought.

I don't think the shop I was in yesterday had a very good range on offer.

Any other suggestions? Shall do some hunting on the internet.

Even some luggage stores might have them. Otherwise try an outdoor adventure store or camping store.

One of my friends had the rucksack style with the one opening at the top and found it hard to get stuff out from the bottom, whereas the zipper allowed easy access to everything.
kcupp95

Postby fingerprint » Mon May 27, 2013 5:33 pm

Found one that does what I want! Gone for the Berghaus Jalan.
fingerprint

Return to Asia