Thailand Discovery

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Thailand Discovery

Postby vickiik » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:45 pm

Hi I'm looking at the Thailand Discovery trip leaving the 31st July, Just wondering if anyone had been on this before, if so any tips? Would you recommend it? Also what is the weather like around August time?

vickiik
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Thailand Discovery

Postby agaden_reach » Thu May 02, 2013 11:01 pm

Hi! :) I haven't been on this trip and I'm booked for Bangkok to Bali on a Shoestring at the end of July, so I can't really comment on that aspect. But I've been looking up the weather for the region and the forecast is rain :P. Apparently it's not too bad, mostly heavy downpours in the afternoon; mornings can be clear and dry (I'm definitely going to be getting a waterproof/canvas rucksack though :lol:). I read somewhere (I can't remember now for the life of me) that the roads aren't too bad, so the chances of being completely marooned aren't that high. But I think flash floods are pretty common. If you search online you should find plenty of info. These were the ones I was reading this morning:

http://www.travelfish.org/weather/thailand/august

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/laos/travel ... icles/1517

I would have preferred to go on holiday earlier, so that snorkelling/scuba would be better but I could only travel in July/August :). On the upside there will be fewer tourists, so maybe more chance to interact with locals? Plus I think ramadan will be around then as well, so it will definitely be an interesting trip :D.
agaden_reach
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Thailand Discovery

Postby escapefromthecold » Sat May 04, 2013 9:21 am

Hi,

I have done the Thailand Discovery tour, but in December so the weather was very different. I would recommend you bring a comfortable pair of sandals because you will doing a lot of walking. Make sure to bring a few pairs of capris/long shorts and t-shirts with short-sleeves - you need to be covered in order to enter the temples. I loved my time in Thailand, so I'm sure you will too.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
escapefromthecold

Return to Asia