What to do in Beijing with 15 hours to spare?

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

What to do in Beijing with 15 hours to spare?

Postby laurenv » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:57 am

Hi everyone,

At the end of my tour, we check out of our Beijing hotel at 10am on Thursday, June 6, but my flight back home doesn't leave until the next day (June 7) at 1am.

Can anyone give me a few suggestions on things to do around Beijing while I wait - or should I venture to the airport for a few hours of entertainment?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Lauren
laurenv
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: What to do in Beijing with 15 hours to spare?

Postby marnie_12 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:39 am

Hi Lauren

Don't bother spending more time than necessary in Beijing AIRPORT there isn't much to do. I would recommend a trip to the Summer Palace (about an hour on the subway) it's really pretty or you could even visit a different section of the great wall! Hope that helps :)

Marnie
Last edited by marnie_12 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
marnie_12
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Re: What to do in Beijing with 15 hours to spare?

Postby simon74 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:50 pm

Hi,

I have to disagree with the last post - there is so much to do in Beijing! You definitely need more days than you get on a tour. I have been twice, these are all the things I have done in my free time:

Summer Palace - a must (much better than the Forbidden City), allow most of a day
Temple of Heaven (and the park) - 2-3 hours, well worth doing
Lama Temple - good to see an active Buddhist temple: can be done in 1 hr + transport
Olympic Park - worth seeing the Birds Nest stadium, allow half a day as it is a but further out
Hutongs - good to explore a few (be safe though - best to get a rickshaw tour) - just drop in when you are passing, they are everywhere - 1 hr top
Qian Men Dajie - historic area done up with shops
Night market - off Wanfujing Street (the main modern shopping street) - this is fun to see and you can eat scorpion and other insects if you want to, or just see them being cooked and eaten!

Also there is the Pearl Market, Silk Market, various museums.
You can also visit a more remote section of the Great Wall - this would take a full day but if you are going anyway I don't think you need to go twice.

I assume you will be visiting Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City on your tour.
In the evening you can go to an acrobatoc show or the kung fu show - I have done both and they are both great (only 90 mins each). You can also go to Sanlitun where all the bars are.

I think of everywhere in China Beijing offers the most to do.

Hope that helps,

Si
simon74

Return to Asia