Must do in Delhi and Kathmandu

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Must do in Delhi and Kathmandu

Postby kaamelott » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:17 pm

Hello again.

2 part question:

I'm doing the Delhi to Kathmandu adventure on Sept 30 and I will arrive 3 days prior to the start of the trip and leaving 2 days after the end of it. Any recommandations about what is a MUST SEE in Delhi and Kathmandu?

Also, what are the MUST DO optional activities of the trip?

I don't want to miss anything, but, by experience I know that there isn't always time to do everything. So I would appreciate if those who had done this trip could recommand the activities they did and absolutely loved. Just to let you know that since I can't swim, any water activity is a no no for me.

Thanks for your help.
kaamelott
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Must do in Delhi and Kathmandu

Postby whatcher » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:48 am

Hello,

I've done the Delhi to KTM trip and I've been to India many times, and I never get tired of it. If I were to recommend a few things that are a must see, It would definitely be Humayun's Tomb in Delhi because it is very beautiful and to see Chandi Chowk in Old Delhi, because it is a real cross-section of the hustle and bustle of the city. In KTM, I would say Durbar Square is a good choice, and eating at Kilroy's is a lot of fun (and delicious too!). The food is hygenic and it's located in Thamel which has tons of great shopping. If there is anything else I can answer please let me know!

-Bill
Last edited by whatcher on Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whatcher
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby avonord » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:06 pm

If the heat is too much for you, you may want to consider a bollywood movie as well. It's one of the more memorable experience for me in Delhi. I even bought the soundtrack CD! :)
avonord
User Rank: Nomad

Postby nytim » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:29 pm

In Delhi,

Jama Masjid in the old city. Largest Mosque in India, the old city is fascinating on its own Bahai Temple, Hyamamuns Tomb, Quib Minar, Jafarjungs Tomb, Connaught Place, The Main Bazaar, Dili Haat, Janta Munter (sp), Lodi Gardens etc etc etc :)

Most of these you can reach using the METRO.
nytim

Postby collywobbles » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:08 pm

hi kaamelott

You could also go paragliding in Pokhara which I did. It was great. But the day I went it was very windy so there was a fair bit of spinning coming into land. I also did the Everest flight which was great. You can also do the elephant washing in chitwan. I did not do it but the others did and had a great laugh. Some also went to a karma sutra temple for a full day outing and they enjoyed it. some of the optional trips that were available to us.

cheers :D
collywobbles
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby moviegeekjn » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:15 pm

For a welcome respite from Delhi chaos, I strongly suggest visiting the Lotus Temple--very beautiful and peaceful
moviegeekjn

Postby powley » Sun May 19, 2013 10:55 pm

get a put put ride to red fort through old delhi 150 ruppes a real eye opener the squaller has to seeen to be believed
powley

Return to Asia