Couple of clothing questions for Delhi to Kathmandu

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Couple of clothing questions for Delhi to Kathmandu

Postby alabama-on-tour » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:41 am

Hi All

Busy packing and getting the last of my things together for Delhi to Kathmandu starting saturday and I have a couple of clothing questions.

Should I take Swimwear?

For my feet, I have packed Birkenstocks, a pair of cheap rubber flip-flops and toying between fairly need converse or old pair of plimpsoles (sneakers)

My worry is the plimpsoles might be too scruffy and flimsy (no grip!) but I could throw them away at the end of the trip and they can get completely ruined.

Is there any walks and "treking" where I might need something heavier?

Thanks in advance
Amy :D
alabama-on-tour
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Couple of clothing questions for Delhi to Kathmandu

Postby collywobbles » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:47 pm

hi Alabama-on-tour :D

I did this trip in 2011 and it was fab. Yes bring a swimsuit some of the hotels we stay in have pools so you will be able to cool off. if it is very hot. As for footwear I wore a pair of runners and took a pair of sandles. a pair of flip flops for the showers even though most hotel supplied flip flops for the bathroom. I wore the sandles most of the time. you have to leave shoes outside temples when you visit. There is the option of doing a hike up sarangkot in Nepal early in the morning for sunrise and it is about 2 hours to hike back in pokahara . so you will need to wear runners. Also for the elephant safarai you need runners . Travel light plenty toilet roll and a head lamp. a nail brush because if you wear sandles feet can get dusty . enjoy the trip do the paragliding I did! have some pictures on www.flickr.com/photos/collywobbles . just to give you an idea. I left my old pair of runners behind because they were manky. have a great trip.

cheers :)
collywobbles
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby alabama-on-tour » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:45 am

Thanks for this advice. I took at peek at your photos and it looks just amazing.

Good tip on the nauil brush....I'll pick one up at the airport and the reminder of a head torch....I packed mine but unsure if it works!!!

Cheers
Amy

:D
alabama-on-tour

Postby powley » Sun May 19, 2013 10:52 pm

need swimwear for elephant washing its a must
powley
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby mattea » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:42 pm

Hi collywobbles,

I took a look at some of your pictures, they look amazing. I am heading to india and Nepal in july/August. I noticed you did the India to Kathmandu in August/September, how was the weather?

What would you recommend bringing in terms of clothing? Did it get cold at night? Did it rain a lot?

Thanks
mattea

Postby collywobbles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:28 pm

Hi Mattea :)

It was very hot when I went in August / September probably be the same for you when you go. We did not have any rain until the the day we hit Kathmandhu. :lol: It was a monsoon . We just arrived at the monkey temple and of course we left our rain jkts /gear in the van. So we were sheltering for a while. But then the sun came out . and dried us :? The nights were very warm and humid. Most of the hotels we stayed in had some form of a/c or fans . But of course it depended on how often you had power. It could be very sporadic :lol: that's why you must bring a headlamp. Travel light. Bring a rain jkt just in case. Bring something to cover up going into temples . I wore mainly 3/4 length trousers and tee shirts. Brought a fleece jkt for when we hiked up Sarangkot . It was a bit chilly at sunrise. and when I went paragliding it was chilly up there. You will be trekking up and down lots of steps at train stations so make sure your bag is not too heavy for you to lift. Bring a pillowcase for the overnight train. and of course toilet roll :D and a swimsuit. If you need more info please ask away. It is a great trip. India is fairly chaotic mad manky noisey millions of people and motorbikes cows and horns :lol: enjoy
collywobbles

Postby mllelauralie » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:50 am

hi,
i am doing this tour starting mid-july. i've been wondering about moskito nets:
did you each bring one? is there always an opportunity to hang them up in the hotels? or is there maybe an opportunity to borrow/buy one from the tour guide?
thanks for the help :)
mllelauralie

Postby collywobbles » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:26 pm

Hi mllelauralie :D

To be honest with you I did not bring any mossie net and I don't think any of my group brought one. I did bring one of those insect repellent plug in thingys and I used it most of the time. and I also used mossie spray. I did not have any problems with mossies. Only when we sat outside in Chitwan Park at Sapana lodge to eat food at night they could be a bit of a pest. but overall no real problems. If I remember there were one or 2 places we stayed at had some sort of mossie nets around beds . Hope this helps :D
collywobbles

Postby Fieter » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:25 am

Thanks everyone for the very usefull tips. I'm only leaving beginning of November, but I am so excited about this trip.
It's my fourth gadventures trip, so if anyone is wondering about the organisation, here is your answer... :D
India has been on my 'list' for so long... finally!!!
Also thanks collywobbles for the pictures, they convinced me even more!!!
Happy travels!
Fieter
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby collywobbles » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:50 pm

Hi Fieter :D

Glad to be of help. Enjoy the trip you will have a blast. As I said India is a chaotic noisey manky full of horns and cows wandering the streets but a wonderful country to experience. :lol: One word of advice be aware that no matter where you go you will be driven demented by people looking to carry this that and take you anywhere for a fee. Begging is a big thing over there . Nepal is quieter and more easy going a welcome relief from the chaos of India . Enjoy

cheers :D
collywobbles

Postby avonord » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:04 pm

And a bit off topic, Delhi taxi scams are the worst. Be sure u know where u r going, or they may give u a joy ride. Or worse, drive u to a different place where the driver gets a commission. :x
avonord
User Rank: Nomad

Postby collywobbles » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:48 pm

8) or as our cycle rickshaw driver did one night and had no clue of the name of the restauraunt that we were going to eat at and got lost driving up a motorway with no lights in the opposite direction to traffic :mrgreen: all part of the adventure I think :lol:
collywobbles

Postby Fieter » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:56 am

The scamstories are always the best stories afterwards right, but not quite while you're experiencing them... that said, I booked an airport transfer just to be sure, but in case it doesn't show up, I'll make sure I have all the information for the hotel on me, thanks for the tip.

As for chaotic India followed by a bit more relaxed Nepal, that was kind of why I picked this trip, so thanks for confirming... I'm just thinking if it's getting too much, I know 'I'll always have Nepal'... :lol: :D
Fieter

Postby collywobbles » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:48 pm

Hi Fieter

You will be fine. I booked an airport transfer from airport as I was travelling alone and to be fair the driver was there. He had about 2 helpers with him . 1 to take you to the car and another guy to drive. The journey to hotel was an experience. Nearly as good as my transfer trip to hotel in Lima. Traffic bikes motorbikes and cows :lol: but at least I was delivered safely to the hotel :lol: .I think what surprise me more than anything was the crowds of people at the airport. It was mad :lol: I guess I am just used to normal amounts of people at the airports at home. Enjoy the trip and chill out in Nepal :D
collywobbles

Postby avonord » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:47 pm

I have at least two bad taxi experiences in Delhi in a mere 5 days of stay. (My rickshaw experience was a lot better.) Maybe I was just having bad luck. Things were totally fine in Mumbai though.

For one of the instances, the taxi departed from our hotel. The hotel was 5 star hotel in the embassy district. (It was the end of our India trip, so we thought we would give ourselves a treat.) The hotel had strict security, with security gates and metal detectors. And only privileged taxis can pick up from this hotel. It was quite impressive. So, anyway, our door man told the taxi exactly where we wanted to go. During the whole way, I was following the map, and then I noticed the taxi didn't exit an highway offramp. I took out my video cam and started recording the argument with the taxi driver. Only after some convincing was he willing to turn around and drop us off at the pre-agreed spot. I did pay the taxi (I probably shouldn't), and took a photo of the license plate. The driver ran out of this taxi and literally begged me on his knees not to report him.

Well. Too bad for him. I did. And the doorman thanked me and assured me that this taxi driver will get in big trouble.

Sorry to throw off the topic. I'll shut up now. :)
avonord

Next

Return to Asia