Thiland Hilltribe Hike

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Thiland Hilltribe Hike

Postby halle plante » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:36 am

I am very excited for my upcoming trip to Thailand. I am a solo traveler and will be flying from San Diego into Bangkok, Thailand. Arriving in Bangkok will be a very new experience for me in a foreign country alone, so i was hoping if anyone else is joining the trip would like to get in touch before hand.
Also, i had a couple questions or suggestions in reference to our luggage and the 3 day hike at Chiang Mai. If we pack a nice hiking backpack that can carry everything needed, if we have another smaller bag, is that able tobe kept anywhere, or we need to bring for the trip all we can carry?
Are the sleeping bags that can be rented on the trip worth renting? And do we then have to carry them, or they are at the campsite with us?
halle plante
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Thiland Hilltribe Hike

Postby emmajc » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:13 am

Hi there, I did this trip last year, we left our large backpacks at the hotel in chiang mai where they were locked away and I just took a small regular day backpack with me as you don't really need much stuff, a change of clothes and toiletries. No one on my trip rented a sleeping bag although one person had a silk thin one with them which they did use. I presume if you are to rent one you will have to carry it yourself. The bedding was not particularly clean or nice but for 2 nights was bearable, it just depends on your personal preference. Have an amazing time!
emmajc

Postby heath195 » Sun May 19, 2013 3:35 pm

Hiya!!

Im doing this trip in mid June. Can anyone clear something up....
Back Packs

Take 1 or 2?
I am currently thinking of taking one 30l backpack. Do we carry this AT ALL TIMES, including cycling around?
Then I was going to buy a bag that folds up tightly to stuff my things in and leave at the guesthouse when I hike.
Also.... renting/bringing a sleeping matt and sleeping bag? Is it a must? I have a liner I will take.

Oh and another thing. Do I take my snorkel or use theirs?

Please help :D

Heather
heath195

Postby jazzyjazz88 » Wed May 22, 2013 2:24 pm

Hi Heather,

I just got back from this trip. Basically you leave your big back pack at the hotel in Chiang Mai and just carry a small one with you for the 3 days in the Hilltribes.
You dont need a sleeping bag at this time of year (its way too hot for a sleeping bag). A liner is perfect but they also provide you with blankets and pillows.

I would not bring a snorkel for the hilltribes. The water is cloudy and there isnt really anything to see!

Hope that clears things up for you

Jasmine
jazzyjazz88

Postby heath195 » Thu May 23, 2013 6:38 am

Hey Jasmine!
Hope you had an amazing time

Thank you!
When you say leave your big rucksack. How big is big haha? I'm decided whether or not to take a second smaller sack. My big one is 30litres.

Do you carry your big one all the time? cycling for example?

Thank youuuu
heath195

Return to Asia