Things to do in Bangkok pre/post trip

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Things to do in Bangkok pre/post trip

Postby agaden_reach » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Hi everyone :D

I've been having a look around the wateringhole (and reading Trip Advisor religiously) and wondered you have any recommendations for places to visit or things to do in Bangkok pre and post trip?

I'm doing the Bangkok to Bali on a Shoestring and we spend the first day of the tour in Bangkok as well (so I imagine we'd get some of the more popular destinations done - i.e. grand palace), before heading to Surat Thani and Koh Phangan.

I'm thinking night markets on the evening I get there. Plenty of nice restaurants to visit and some have amazing degustations for around US$40. I'm also really keen to do the "Flight of the Gibbon" treetops zipline tour. Any other conservation/animal related tour and I'm there 8) . I've also been told that if I visit Thailand without going on an elephant ride I'm getting disowned :mrgreen:.

Also really want to get a suit/jacket made for me while I'm there. So far I'm thinking Crown Tailors (suits starting from US$180). Does anybody have any experience with them or others in the area? Return flights ended up being a much cheaper option for me, so getting measurements taken and then getting a fitting at the end of the tour before heading back to Oz worked out perfectly :D Also means I won't have to lug a suit around.

Lastly, if anyone is going to be in Bangkok around the 28th of July be sure to drop me a line, it would be nice not to be "Nigel no friends" eating in the corner of the restaurant :lol:.
agaden_reach
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Things to do in Bangkok pre/post trip

Postby avonord » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:00 pm

I will be spending a few days post trip in Bangkok as well. Here's what I got so far:

http://goo.gl/maps/aPwPs

Street food will be really exciting in Bangkok. Can't wait. But I will be splurging on a buffet at Shangri-la hotel. If you never been to a big buffet like that in Asia, maybe u wanna give it a try. Chatuchak market will also be really exciting. I plan to spend most of the day there.
avonord
User Rank: Nomad

Postby agaden_reach » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:50 am

Thanks for that. Those maps are a great idea, I'll have to put one together :). I've heard the street food is amazing, that's definitely on my list :) along with the night markets. I was really trying to fit the Chatuchak markets in but unfortunately I get in on a Sunday afternoon both times and it closes at 5pm apparently. Hopefully I'll be able to spend an hour or 2 there before it shuts. Which restaurant was the buffet in?
agaden_reach

Postby avonord » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:11 am

It's the Next2 restaurant at Shangri-la hotel. Reserve ahead and ask for a table by the river. Foie gras is all-u-can-eat. I hope my heart survives that night. There are many other choices when it comes to buffet too. I found this:

http://www.buffet-thailand.com/buffet_dinner.htm

Btw, I'm also going to a floating market. I'll be going to this one:

http://www.bangkok.com/magazine/taling-chan.htm
avonord

Postby agaden_reach » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:40 am

Wow, awesome links. Thanks! :D How much was the buffet at Next2? And where was Fois Gras mentioned? I've gone through a lot of links and I swear I'm going blind.
So many choices though! That will be my only problem now :p.

Forgot to add some restaurants I'd seen that look pretty decent and within my price range:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R ... ngkok.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R ... ngkok.html

Maybe only once though, for the experience, since most degustations/fine dining isn't within my price range at home :P. I'd rather spend more time trying something authentic/traditional Thai than anything too international. Just as I wouldn't go to Thailand to eat McDonalds etc :P
agaden_reach

Postby avonord » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:25 am

Cool. I'll check those out. Thanks.

The price for Next2 is USD$60 per person (with all u can drink beer!!). The prices are on the right hand columns in that link I gave u. Here's a bit more detail of next2.

http://www.bangkokriversidedining.com/next2.html

I heard about the foie gras from tripadvisor reviews. Regardless they have it or not, I'm sure it won't disappoint. The buffet may be more international than what u want though. Still, these kinds of extravagant buffets I've only seen in Asia (and maybe Vegas). So,it's something to try. It's quite impressive.
avonord

Postby agaden_reach » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:48 pm

Ohhh right! Sorry I missed Next2 at the bottom there. That sounds pretty awesome, and the location looks fantastic. I think I'll have to roll back to my hotel that night :P

Ohhh right. I get you. I thought before you had referenced a separate restaurant called "Foie Gras" that I couldn't find. Sorry, it's too early... more coffee.

That's true :). I'll check it out for sure :). I haven't been travelling much yet so I hadn't known those sorts of buffets even existed :P. Most of the ones we have at home have been pretty average :P. When are you heading off on your travels? I'd love to hear how it all goes. Which tour are you doing?
agaden_reach

Postby agaden_reach » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:13 pm

You may have already seen this, just reviews for Next2 with pictures! It all looks amazing. I'm a real sweet tooth and the desserts look fantastic. So doing this the night I arrive in Bangkok. Thanks for the tips :)

I'm using Chrome and auto-translated the page from Thai for me, the results are pretty hilarious. I think something was lost in translation :lol: :

http://topicstock.pantip.com/food/topic ... 32103.html
agaden_reach

Postby avonord » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:56 pm

Oh my... That looks even better than I imagined it. I had a number of big hotel buffets in hongkong before, but this looks ridiculous!! Thanks for the link. :)

I'm going to essential Vietnam and Cambodia (AVEV). It ends in Bangkok. Food is one of my thing during travel. And both Vietnam and Thailand are foody paradise. I just need to make sure to bring a pack of Imodium and I'm good to go. The tour starts July 16 and ends July 31 or something. Then I'm heading to seoul for a few days before coming home.
avonord

Postby agaden_reach » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:29 am

I know, it's huge! :P. If you scroll down to link reviews there are 5 more huge pages full of photos as well. And no probs :D:

http://www.buffet-thailand.com/buffet_bangkok/46.htm

That sounds amazing, Vietnam is definitely on my list for next time as well. I haven't even been on my trip and I'm already planning my next one :P
agaden_reach

Postby mojowp » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:42 pm

agaden_reach wrote:Hi everyone :D

I've been having a look around the wateringhole (and reading Trip Advisor religiously) and wondered you have any recommendations for places to visit or things to do in Bangkok pre and post trip?

I'm doing the Bangkok to Bali on a Shoestring and we spend the first day of the tour in Bangkok as well (so I imagine we'd get some of the more popular destinations done - i.e. grand palace), before heading to Surat Thani and Koh Phangan.

I'm thinking night markets on the evening I get there. Plenty of nice restaurants to visit and some have amazing degustations for around US$40. I'm also really keen to do the "Flight of the Gibbon" treetops zipline tour. Any other conservation/animal related tour and I'm there 8) . I've also been told that if I visit Thailand without going on an elephant ride I'm getting disowned :mrgreen:.

Also really want to get a suit/jacket made for me while I'm there. So far I'm thinking Crown Tailors (suits starting from US$180). Does anybody have any experience with them or others in the area? Return flights ended up being a much cheaper option for me, so getting measurements taken and then getting a fitting at the end of the tour before heading back to Oz worked out perfectly :D Also means I won't have to lug a suit around.

Lastly, if anyone is going to be in Bangkok around the 28th of July be sure to drop me a line, it would be nice not to be "Nigel no friends" eating in the corner of the restaurant :lol:.

Hey there!

We're going to be on the Indochina Encompassed and are arriving 4 days early. There are a ton of things to do pre and post trip. We are looking forwards to a MuayThai Boxing evening at one of the two best known stadiums (Rajadamnern or Lumpinee) and a day trip to Ayutthaya. Not to seem too cliche, but I guess I am...There's also the all important visit to the Sky Bar (the world's highest Sky bar http://www.lebua.com/sky-bar) and then there's the world's largest outdoor restaurant (http://www.royal-dragon.com/aboutus.htm). The joining hotel is seriously well located! From what I understand, we are close to the Golden Budda and other imporatnt sights.... and the train station for easy access to other stuff!

We'll be staying for nearly two weeks after and heading south to Koh Tao for a bit of snokeling and beach relaxation. (We just booked the hotel today!)

We'll be back from Koh Tao on the 29th of July...if you're around maybe we'll bump into eachother!
It's the journey, not the destination.

mojowp
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby avonord » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:55 pm

I think I'll have a drink at the sky bar too. The only thing is -- they won't let u in with casual clothing.

Do u have a link for the Thai boxing? I'm interested. Do u buy tickets ahead of time?
avonord

Postby mojowp » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:07 pm

Hubby went to the Muay Thai Boxing quite a while ago and said it was AMAZING! The music, the atmosphere, the betting, all of it summed up "Thailand" for him.

He can't remember which of the two stadiums he went to, but if I go by "back in the day" it probably would have been the oldest and most established one. You just need to Google it. I know that there are a lot of "demonstration-type" boxing matches at restaurants and hotels, but we won't be going to any of those. I know you can get advanced tickets and the sites are quite sophisticated with the combatant line-ups and stuff....(not that I would know who would be the one to watch). The stadiums are HUGE like hockey arenas and the prices vary greatly according to the levels.

We'll surely buy our tickets once there and ask the locals which is the best to see.
It's the journey, not the destination.

mojowp

Postby i_schneider » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:17 pm

i did the Cambodia and laos mekong adventure in FEb and arrived a day early in Bangkok. WE visited Wat Arun, Wat Pho, Grand palace and did a canal tour. At the end of the trip, we went to the Floating Market, and to the Bridge over river kwai. Our guide arranged a driver for us for the floating market.

there's so much to see there, wish we had more time.
i_schneider
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby t.o. megan » Mon May 27, 2013 4:22 pm

Jim Thompson House is a beautiful place to visit...and it also has a lovely and serene cafe to eat lunch at.
t.o. megan

Next

Return to Asia