Indochina Encompassed

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Indochina Encompassed

Postby rachelb09 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:24 pm

I am going on the 'Indochina Encompassed' tour in November and was wondering if you have any tips for me.

Items you wished you packed?
Food to try?
Backpack size - 45l or 60l?

I will be taking an SLR camera too so hope that will be okay.

Also after the tour I will be travelling SE Asia solo for a month and a half, are there any places you recommend that aren't included in the tour that I should visit? I really want to go to Sihanoukville, Cambodia.

rachelb09
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Indochina Encompassed

Postby vron » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:57 pm

Hi Rachel,

I'm just back from the trip and you will love it, I could not pick a highlight when pressed. Of course I brought too much stuff with me as there was plenty of oppurtunity to have clothes washed. You will need to have clothes that cover shoulders and knees, I found "zip off" trousers handy, get light weight ones that will dry quickly. I brought a rain cape, it was great to have in the bag and when it did rain the cape covered my backpack as well as me.
You don't need a very large backpack, large enough to carry water, sunscreen, insect repellant etc so I'd say a smaller one would be fine for everyday , a girl on my trip had one that folded up small and could be packed away in another bag and I wished I had one like that, you will need a bag that you can take overnight stuff in for your trip to Halong bay and don't forget a warm sweater when you go there.....I did and had to buy one.
The food was great everywhere, be careful with ice, three of us got "a dose of the dreaded" after the homestay cos we had ice in our beer.
You won't have any problems with the camera.
The tour ends in Bangkok which means you would have to cross back over the border to go to Sihanoukville, maybe you'd be as well off leaving after Siem Reap and heading back to Phnom Penh but you should discuss that with someone at G or with your CEO when you meet up. If I could have I would have spent some time in Ko Samui or Phuket (or both!).
I have previously visited Malaysia and Singapore and loved both so that might be a consideration. Anyway have a blast and stay safe.

Vron
vron

Re: Indochina Encompassed

Postby rachelb09 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:44 am

Thankyou for all the info!

I would love to ask a few more questions if that's okay? As you have been on the same tour.

I will definitely bring clothes to cover legs and shoulders. When it comes to backpack I meant the main one that will hold all my clothes etc, what size did you take? A day pack that folds up sounds great though.

It is a good idea about leaving in Siem Reap, I will have to look into that! As I will be travelling solo for a month and half I will hopefully have time for Sihanoukville, some more of Thailand and maybe Bali. I have been to Singapore before and love it! As my flight to Ausralia leaves from there I will probably spend a few days there before I Leave.

Thankyou, I will watch out for the ice in drinks!

I can't wait to go now :)
rachelb09

Return to Asia