Hotmail and Wordpress available in China?

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Hotmail and Wordpress available in China?

Postby kiwikoalabaer77 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:21 pm

Hi,

in about two weeks time I am leaving for China starting the Essential China trip on the 14th April with three extra days in Beijing prior to the tour. Recently I was told by someone who has been to China last year that hotmail isn't available in China. That surprised me as I have been on a tour to Yunnan and Tibet in July/August 2010 with G Adventures and used hotmail without having problems. My Mum who was in Beijing and Shanghai a few months later also wrote her mails from her hotmail-account and didn't face any problems. Also, the tour leader I had on my Yunnan and Tibet trip who is from the US and now lives in Beijing writes me emails from a hotmail-account. Unfortunately I can not ask her as she is currently trekking in the Himalayas in Nepal for five weeks.

I also read somewhere that several blogging platforms aren't available in China. I know that facebook is banned in China till present.

I can live without facebook for several weeks- no problem -, but my major email account is on hotmail. As I am receiving emails everyday and also like to keep in touch with my boyfriend, family and friends at home, it would be good to be prepared.

I also have a blog on wordpress which I had planned to use in China.

So it would be good to know from those people who have recently been to China:

Are hotmail and wordpress available in China?

Thanks

Vanessa

Stories and photos from my travels: http://www.travellingcolognian.com/
kiwikoalabaer77
User Rank: World Wanderer

Re: Hotmail and Wordpress available in China?

Postby ballu » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:53 am

I had problems accessing my hotmail when I was there in 2007...not sure if that has changed.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby nikimarcotte » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:41 pm

i had no problems with hotmail in 2009 when i was there...facebook was blocked, but some internet places had bypasses to use it, same in vietnam...don't know if they still find ways around blocks:)
nikimarcotte

Postby johnedward » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:36 pm

Word-press is blocked in China from Oct 2011. Last Year, me and my wife were in china, we spend 6 days there. I have a Word-press blog which I update on daily basis. When I was in China, At that time I wanted to wrote some interesting moments on my blog but failed. Because Word-Press was banned in China. So, I wrote every moments on a notebook.
johnedward
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby kiwikoalabaer77 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:29 pm

Thanks everyone.

If anyone else has recently been to China and has actual information about hotmail and/or wordpress, it would be great if you'd let me know. :D

Vanessa

Stories and photos from my travels: http://www.travellingcolognian.com/
kiwikoalabaer77

Return to Asia