Hotmail and Wordpress available in China?

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Hotmail and Wordpress available in China?

Postby kiwikoalabaer77 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:21 pm

Hi,

in about two weeks time I am leaving for China starting the Essential China trip on the 14th April with three extra days in Beijing prior to the tour. Recently I was told by someone who has been to China last year that hotmail isn't available in China. That surprised me as I have been on a tour to Yunnan and Tibet in July/August 2010 with G Adventures and used hotmail without having problems. My Mum who was in Beijing and Shanghai a few months later also wrote her mails from her hotmail-account and didn't face any problems. Also, the tour leader I had on my Yunnan and Tibet trip who is from the US and now lives in Beijing writes me emails from a hotmail-account. Unfortunately I can not ask her as she is currently trekking in the Himalayas in Nepal for five weeks.

I also read somewhere that several blogging platforms aren't available in China. I know that facebook is banned in China till present.

I can live without facebook for several weeks- no problem -, but my major email account is on hotmail. As I am receiving emails everyday and also like to keep in touch with my boyfriend, family and friends at home, it would be good to be prepared.

I also have a blog on wordpress which I had planned to use in China.

So it would be good to know from those people who have recently been to China:

Are hotmail and wordpress available in China?

Thanks

Vanessa

Stories and photos from my travels: http://www.travellingcolognian.com/
kiwikoalabaer77
User Rank: World Wanderer

Re: Hotmail and Wordpress available in China?

Postby ballu » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:53 am

I had problems accessing my hotmail when I was there in 2007...not sure if that has changed.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby nikimarcotte » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:41 pm

i had no problems with hotmail in 2009 when i was there...facebook was blocked, but some internet places had bypasses to use it, same in vietnam...don't know if they still find ways around blocks:)
nikimarcotte

Postby johnedward » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:36 pm

Word-press is blocked in China from Oct 2011. Last Year, me and my wife were in china, we spend 6 days there. I have a Word-press blog which I update on daily basis. When I was in China, At that time I wanted to wrote some interesting moments on my blog but failed. Because Word-Press was banned in China. So, I wrote every moments on a notebook.
johnedward
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby kiwikoalabaer77 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:29 pm

Thanks everyone.

If anyone else has recently been to China and has actual information about hotmail and/or wordpress, it would be great if you'd let me know. :D

Vanessa

Stories and photos from my travels: http://www.travellingcolognian.com/
kiwikoalabaer77

Postby whitneynunez » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:51 am

When I was in China. I couldn't view videos from Youtube nor visit my Hotmail. When I found out the solution is to use VPN service. I used http://www.sunvpn.net/ service, This could bypass the Internet filters in China.
whitneynunez

Postby graybeard » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:28 pm

I read a recent news article that China has also begun to shut down the use of VPN services. (Not surprising, nor all that difficult since they have some of the best hackers in the world.) However, I do not know this to be a fact, it's is only what I read in a newspaper.
graybeard

Return to Asia