Trekking Annapurna Questions

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Trekking Annapurna Questions

Postby mike433 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:00 am

Hi guys,

I'm doing the Trekking Annapurna trip in October. I have been reading other post's and haven't found all the information I need and some of it does conflict a little. I have a few questions about the trip that hopefully someone can answer:

1. I am spending time in India before the trip begins so I wasn't planning on bringing a sleeping bag. Is there anywhere to rent a sleeping bag, walking poles etc in Kathmandu? Can your guide hook you up with any?
2. What is the weight allowance for your stuff to give to the porters? I take it this includes sleeping bags etc? Is it strictly enforced? When I did the Inca trail every bag was actually weighed!
3. I hear you can leave your bag at the hotel in Katmandu, is this true? If so, when do you get your bag back?
4. How much money will you need for food and tipping on the trip? Give or take
5. Is there facilities for laundry on the trip?
6. Is there a facility to charge camera's at guest houses? Is there a charge?
7. Besides generic boots, thick socks, thermals and water proofs is there anything you should bring on the trek?
8. Any other bits of random advice you guys can give me?

Thanks for any help :D
mike433
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Trekking Annapurna Questions

Postby jseguin » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:19 pm

Hey Mike,

I just returned form the Nepal Adventure trip.

1. yes you can rent a sleeping bag. Ask G Adventures to arrange this. I did the same in Peru.
2. Pretty much the same as the Inca trail which I did as well. They did not weigh our bags, but it was one bag for two people, and think it was supposed to be 15lbs or less.
3. Yes, you can leave bags in Kathmandu and leave laundry to get done too.
4. Food is pretty cheap on the trek. $5-$10 per person is enough usually for each meal, depending if you have liquor etc. Be prepared to tip the porters too...your guide will give you advice on this, but I think for my wife and I we gave about $20 US for 4 days of trekking, which was more than the recommended.
5. While trekking is harder, but in Kathmandu, Pokhora etc it is very easy and cheap through the hotels.
6. Yes, I was surprised there was electricity. There was no charge. Some even had Wifi!
7. Be prepared to be hot at lower elevations. It was quite warm for me, but we only went to 2500M. Trekking poles are a good idea depending on your fitness level. You can buy stuff really cheap in Kathmandu.

Have fun! You're going to love it.
jseguin
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby ipdan10 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:35 am

Hi Mike, I am not sure which trek you are doing but if you are doing the ANAS it is much longer than the 4 days taken by the other responder to your question. In regard to your question on tipping. About US$100 for the porters and US$80 split between the lead and asst guide is a decent tip (tip more if they do a better job). Think about it, that is only about $10 a day to carry all your gear while you are trying to catch your breath just walking. A very low wage even in a 3rd world country. I have taken many trips with GAP and the reason I continue is because of the good service that I receive from the local people in the area I am trekking.. They can't keep good poters on US$3 a day.
ipdan10
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby mike433 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:06 am

Thanks for the advice.

I'm doing the 17 day trip of which 12-14 days are hiking.... which is why I'm asking so many questions, 2 weeks is a long time to go if you are not properly prepared, whereas if I was doing the 4 day one it isn't such a big deal being caught short for a few days
mike433

Postby JayneSanson85 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:00 am

Hi again Mike! Im slowly trailing through Nepal posts on the forum and your name has come up again ;)
Since you've now done the trip, wondering if you can confirm what the luggage situation is? I'll be doing the same 17 days total with about a fortnight of hiking. Do you leave your main backpack in Kathmandu and take a few select items on the hike? How much weight do the porters take? And you carry your own day bag I assume. If there is a strict weight restriction for the porters, and limited laundry, I'm guessing most people wear the same clothes and mostly changed undergarments as they went along?
Cheers
JayneSanson85

Postby mike433 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:58 pm

Jayne again!

I have literally just answered another post of yours on another trek topic. I hope I'm going to be more helpful here. Right, You can leave your main rucksack at the hotel. They lock them away and put a tag on them etc so they are reasonably safe (although nothing is 100%). If I recall you get somthing like 10 kilos of weight allocation for your porters to take. They will supply you with a bag, it should be safe but I had a small padlock for mine anyway. Remember your sleeping back will go in this bag and probably take up half the weight and therefore not give you a lot to play with. Porters carry 2 peoples stuff. Bags were not weighed as such. Our guide lifted up each bag and said either that is fine or it's too heavy, take stuff out. I don't know what time of year you are going so can't advise you on the weather. I went in October which is the best time of year as it's sunny and warm :) The only washing facilities are whatever washing powder you bring and running water at guest houses. You can dry your clothes in the sun on your bag walking. I went with the theory I'd rather be warm, dry and dirty rather then cold wet and clean. Needless to say I didn't do any washing. However there are solar showers at some guest houses so there is the prospect of hot/warm showers.... get in first though! You will carry your own day sack so load it with as much as you want.

I went with the strategy of taking more thinner layers rather then less thick ones. So you can strip off and put layers on as you need. Yeah most people had a very limited wardrobe to choose from haha! It's a hike so no one was looking their pretty best! It is a real challenge to pack correctly for every scenario with such a limited weight limit so it's hard to best advise you. Comfy boots are essential, if it is likely to rain so are water proofs. Nights are cold, days were warm and sunny. The higher you get the colder you get. I started at lower elevations in a vest and shorts and at the highest point of throng la pass I had literally every layer I had with me on! it was minus 15. Air is a good insulator so to be able to have 4 or 5 thin layers is great. Like say, vest, t shirt, jumper, hoodie, jacket. To be fair throng la pass day was the only day I felt under prepared, I hope you are able to man up haha! You'll have a great time, it's beautiful, it's a challenge, it's hard but if you want a pretty walk then this is the one!

Oh I seem to recall one girl brought no cold weather gear and managed to purchase some on the trek in a small village you will pass through. So should you pack badly there are places to get hats, gloves, coats en route. Hope this is helpful

Mike
mike433

Postby JayneSanson85 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:26 am

Again, thankyou so much. Like you, we're doing Delhi to Kathmandu then Annapurna. We'll start Annapurna 24 May till 10 June.
I learnt my lesson in Africa for not having waterproof boots, so I got a set the other day. I've tested them out a couple of times- and though I'd much prefer my joggers, they work alright. :)
The layer theory def seems to be the way to go. I'll have to test out the "10kg limit" a couple of times before we head off. My sleeping bag which is a -10c is exactly 2kg so I've got a bit to play with! I really appreciate the advice.
JayneSanson85

Postby mike433 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:08 pm

Your welcome, always happy to help out a fellow traveller. You will have a chance to do paragliding in Pokhara for $100 and an Everest flight in Kathmandu for around $200, I recommend both. Don't worry about your packing, there is no way you will have as many changes of clothes as you'd like and you won't be prepared for every scenario. Try packing clothes that are multi use, like trousers that have zip off bits that become shorts etc. Hope you have a great trip
mike433

Return to Asia