Day trip to Plain of Jars from Vang Vieng?

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Day trip to Plain of Jars from Vang Vieng?

Postby vron » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:34 pm

Hi Everyone, I'm booked on the Indochina Encompassed trip and I'm wondering if its possible to arrange a day trip to the Plain of Jars as it's not included in the itinerary and I'd really love to see it or would it be better to try to get to it from Luang Prebang as I have three nights there
Vron
vron
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Day trip to Plain of Jars from Vang Vieng?

Postby onyx007 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:42 am

I did "Indochina Encompassed" in February 2012 and until now never heard of the "Plain of Jars" and also didn't heard anything about it on my trip.

If that's one of your "must-do" on the list, then I think it's nicer to do it from Vang Vieng.
Because there is much to do in Luang Prabang (Ziplining, Elephant Riding and Bathing, Temples, Museums etc.) and Vang Vieng is "only" nice to go Kayaking or partying, there is not much to see. But you might wait till you get there and ask first your tourleader and then also your fellow travellers, because the more people will join you on this trip, the cheaper it get for everyone.

Also in Luang Prabang you will have three nights but you arrive late afternoon and your departure is early morning, so you have two full days there, but one of the days is covered with a included trip to the market/ museum and water falls and as I mentioned the second day is the day where you go on optional trips, and (at least on our trip) that was our only chance to go riding/bathing with the elephants and the ziplining was great as well.

But you have also to consider the following:
Such a trip to the "Plains of Jars" will probably take you a full day 7 - 8 hours and
you have already a long trip from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng (around 6 hours)
and on the day after a smaller trip from Vang Vieng to Vientiane (around 3 hours).
And the streets are winding and rocky.
onyx007
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby desiree2 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:44 pm

Hi
I travelled through Laos in 2006 on a private trip and visited the Plain of Jars. It's about 3 hours from VV and four hours from LP, so it would be quite a long day. It was a remarkable experience and I was pleased I was able to visit as part of the tour I was on, however, I'm not quite sure how practical/possible it would be to arrange a day trip.
Good luck!
Desiree
desiree2
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby vron » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:31 pm

Hi 007 and Desiree,
Thank you both for taking the time to reply. I still think I'll try to fit in the trip from VV as I probably will never be in the area again so I feel it would be worth the effort and it is on my "must see" list (if at all possible) and the thought of the long journey on a bad road doesn't faze me.....hell, I'm from Ireland, I'm used to bad roads! :)

Vron
vron

Postby desiree2 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:00 am

Hi Vron
Definitely worth a try. I also believe in trying to see as much as possible while you're there. Most people regret the things they don't do, not the things they do.
Hope it works out
Desiree
desiree2

Postby onyx007 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:49 am

Yeah, thats true and it's way better to do it from Vang Vieng (if possible).
You should arrive in time to go to a booking office and organise your trip.

It might even be possible, that your tourleader can call forward and book it
for you and you pay by arrival.
onyx007

Postby vron » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:16 pm

Hi Guys,

Well I'm back from my trip and I loved every minute of it, I did manage to get to the Plain of Jars after much perserverence and at great expense, I had to get a private guide and driver and it cost me $300, but I was really delighted that I made the effort, as I said I'll probably never be in Laos again and I would always have regretted not going. Anyway thanks for your imput, it was good to be armed with the knowledge that the trip was possible before I kicked up the storm!!!!

Vron
vron

Postby desiree2 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:49 pm

Hi Vron
Delighted that you made the effort and that you enjoyed the experience!
Desiree
desiree2

Return to Asia