hong kong airport question

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

hong kong airport question

Postby i_schneider » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:08 pm

i'm flying to bangkok, through hong kong. we have to switch airlines in hong kong and change terminals. does anyone know if we will have to collect our bags in HK? we have a short (but legal) layover and i'm afraid of missing our connecting flight. thanks in advance.
i_schneider
User Rank: Traveller

Re: hong kong airport question

Postby TravelFun » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:49 pm

If you're going to be in transit in Hong Kong then most likley your luggage will be sent through to Bangkok. You're best contacting the airline directly to get this confirmed.

When I went to NZ I took the London to Auckland flight via Singapore and my luggage was sent through to Auckland. I was in transit in Singapore and stayed overnight so just kept overnight gear in my daypack (my hand luggage).
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Re: hong kong airport question

Postby michelle808 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:34 am

Almost all of the flights departing from Hong Kong are out of Terminal 1. Hardly any flights go from Terminal 2, that is where the sea pier is going to Macau/Shenzhen. Are your flights on two separate booking numbers? If so then you will have to enter Hong Kong pick up your luggage & venture back upstairs to check in for your next flight. If the flights are booked on the same booking number then ask upon check-in of your first flight if your luggage will transfer through to your destination. Key to keep in mind is whether the two airlines you are flying with are apart of the same alliance, if they are then most likely they have an agreement on the luggage situation.

Cheers,
Michelle
michelle808

Return to Asia