Which China tour? ACCAD or ACBK?

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Which China tour? ACCAD or ACBK?

Postby aarone » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:52 pm

Hi everyone!

Looking for some advice about the above tours. I'm looking to head to China for about 10 days in April on either the ACCAD (Classic China Adventure) or ACBK (Beijing to Hong Kong Express) tours.

Essentially I want to see a good slice of China in this time, and also get in to see Hong Kong too. The ACCAD tour is Beijing to Shanghai (I'd pay to fly to Hong Kong for a couple of days on completion), whilst the ACBK tour does what it says on the tin - Beijing to Hong Kong.

The itineraries are pretty similar at the start, but then split. The ACBK tour goes through Yangshuo for 3 days before hitting Hong Kong, whilst the other tour obviously loops around to hit Shanghai.

Anyone been on any of these two tours? Which would you recommend? Obviously when you factor in the flights, the ACCAD tour is about £100 more expensive, but it may be worth it to see Shanghai.

All input welcome!

Cheers and Merry Christmas!
aarone
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Which China tour? ACCAD or ACBK?

Postby stephanp » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:58 pm

Hi Aaron,

It looks like you're choosing in between two great tours so no matter which one you go on you're going to have a great time! As you said, in regards to itineraries they are very similar with one trip going to Shanghai and one to Honk Kong. I would personally go for Shanghai, just because I'm interested in architecture and I think it would be great to see the contrast between Beijing and Shanghai and if you're flying to Honk Kong afterwards you'll get to see 3 great cities.

The other main difference is that the Beijing to Honk Kong Express is a Classic Style tour which is geared towards giving you a little bit of everything and as a Standard service level, the transportation/accommodations are in middle. While you have certain inclusions on the tour as part of the tour cost you'll also have more free time to explore and do your own thing.

The Classic China Adventure on the other hand is a Discovery Style trip and as such is it geared towards giving you a little more of an education aspect to the place you're visiting. It's also a comfort service level tour so it is going to have nicer accommodations/transportation than the Beijing to Honk Kong Express. It also has many more inclusions as part of the itinerary, although this will give you less time to explore on your own.

Hopefully that helps a bit!

Stephan
stephanp
User Rank: Weekender

Postby aarone » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:15 am

Brilliant - thanks for the advice! I've opted for the Classic China trip - I came to the same conclusions as yourself :)
aarone

Postby stephanp » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:43 pm

That sounds great! You're definitely going to have an amazing time on the trip (although I'm sure either choice would have been great!).
stephanp

Postby onyx007 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:18 pm

It looks like you've already decided which trip you'll take. If you like to see Shanghai as well,
then that's the way to do it. It's a great city, I was there in 2010 for the World Fair.
Check out one of the highrisers or the tower you'll have a great view from the top...

But if you like to see something of the countryside then the other tour with Yangshuo is the way to go, because Yangshuo is "the" place in China for backpackers and the bike-tour through the rice paddies is amazing.
onyx007
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to Asia