One-way ticket to India...potential problem?

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

One-way ticket to India...potential problem?

Postby Kardvark7 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:55 pm

I'm planning a trip to India and Nepal in March and April, and I'd be flying into India on a one-way ticket, then later flying from Delhi to Kathmandu, and later flying back to the US via Kathmandu. I've never flown on one-way tickets before and have heard conflicting stories about it being a problem with immigration officials. Some people report no problems, other people say they were forced to buy a round-trip ticket that they either didn't use or refunded. I'd have tours booked and confirmed for these trips, as well as all air travel and hotel reservations booked in advance.

Would having a one-way ticket cause any problems with me getting into India? I'd be there for a month on an Intrepid tour. My "proof of onward travel" would be my flight from India to Kathmandu and my hotel/tour reservations in Nepal.

What about getting into Kathmandu? Would immigration give me any hassles if I flew in from Delhi and left two weeks later, back to the US, on a different airline?

I've also heard stories about e-tickets not necessarily being considered "proof" and paper airline tickets being required. Huh??

I feel so stupid asking these questions, but I just don't want any problems! I guess I'm just paranoid, as this is also the first time I've ever been to countries where I didn't speak the language and felt totally out of my element.
Kardvark7
User Rank: Traveller

Re: One-way ticket to India...potential problem?

Postby desiree2 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:22 am

Hi
You don't really sound as if you have a one-way ticket, it's more of a multi-stop ticket. My interpretation of a one-way ticket would be that the only ticket in your possession is the one from the US to India, but you say that you've got a ticket(s) that goes US-India-Kathmandu-US. In 2008 I flew into India, did a couple of organised tours, then flew to Singapore for a few days then back home to Australia which sounds similar to you. I can't even remember anyone asking me for copies of tickets at immigration.
I've used e-tickets for a number of years now and have not had any problems (touch wood :) )
You'll find that most people in India (particularly those in official jobs) speak some English. English seems to be the universal language.
Desiree
desiree2
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby Zuleika » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:52 pm

All they want to know is that you have onward arrangements to leave the country. You are doing a round trip this is not classed as a oneway ticket but a multi-stop trip.
Just make sure you have all the right visas and you will be fine.
English is very commonly spoken all over India - its how all the different languages and dialects over this vast country communicate with one another (and us!) so dont worry about language barriers.
Finally - I have been to India many times and never been asked for proof of onward tickets.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby Kardvark7 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:40 pm

OK, thanks. When I looked at flights online, I was either given the choice of booking "round trip" or "one way", so I didn't know what multi-stop meant. Good to know it wouldn't be an issue.

As it happens, the itinerary I was planning turned out to not work with my vacation time and my budget, so I've decided to go to Peru later this year instead! (Shorter, cheaper flight for me, no language barrier, no worries!)
Kardvark7

Return to Asia