EBC - crampons?

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

EBC - crampons?

Postby kierkegaard » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:40 pm

I am going on the Everest Adventure at the end of October and looking very much forward to it. The description of the trip focuses on that it can be done by anyone with decent footwear and in good shape - and no special equipment is needed. The description was the same for the Trekking Mont Blanc trek, but there we crossed several patches of snow where sometimes I thought that a pair of crampons could have been advantageous.

Do anyone know how much walking snow we'll be walking in? I'm considering bringing my crampons, just in case, but if there isn't a hint of snow anywhere on the trek they'll just be unnecessary extra weight.
kierkegaard
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Re: EBC - crampons?

Postby chardonais » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:40 am

The crampons will just be extra weight. I went in mid-October and we only experienced a light snowfall - the type that doesn't stay on the ground. That being said, you will have about 3hrs or so walking on the glacier to basecamp. It can be a bit dicey at times with the uneven ground, but I still think the crampons would do more harm than good - basecamp day is a very long day and I don't think you want to make your pack any heavier than it needs to be.

chardonais
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby earth2al » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:13 am

Agreed. I did the trip at the end of October a couple of years ago and saw neither rain or snow till base camp, which was already on the ground, and the trail was always clear. Use the space/weight for an extra pair of wool sox and some clean undies! :D

Trust in Allah, but tie your camel... Prophet Muhammad
earth2al
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby Zuleika » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:41 pm

Rather than crampons you could consider something more lightweight like yaktrax or similar
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Return to Asia