Chiang Mai Elephant Conservation

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Chiang Mai Elephant Conservation

Postby cfung » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:55 pm

Hello!

Just wondering if anyone has been/will be going to the elephant conservation program on the week beginning 29 Oct?

If anyone has been, just wondering what i should expect ? Any tips/advice is appreciated! :D

thanks!
cfung
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Chiang Mai Elephant Conservation

Postby jo-burgess » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:00 am

Hi,

I am going on 11th Feb for a week in 2013.

I have done a lot of googling and you can find some good blogs online from people who have gone previously. Have a google of Chiang Mai Elephant Sanctuary Blog and you should find some good info.

I have read that some weeks they take 2 elephants out into the jungle to stay at a camp they have there and you can choose to go or not. Some volunteers that have said it was amazing and you get to treck through the lush foliage and through streams etc to sleep on a platform in the jungle. They also mentioned getting some string from a local monastry and tying it around the base of a tree to bless the jungle so it signifies to people who do cut them down that those have been blessed which means they are left along.

I hope you have an awesome time and please do come back and let me know how it was!

I cant wait to go! Thanks, Jo x
jo-burgess
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Chiang Mai Elephant Conservation

Postby jumbo » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:34 am

Hi
I'm also going on Oct 29 and have just started trip journal, watering hole, youtube, google earth etc.
So far I am not sure which camp it will be and my best guess is Maetaman Elephant camp. This one offers some street views on google earth.
On youtube you find quite a few films like 'Elephant painting' etc. Gives you an impression and brought me to 'Maetaman Volunteer', which works as a search criteria. Have a look.
And if it's another camp, we'll take it from there.

Cheers and see you soon
Bernhard/Swiss
jumbo

Return to Asia