Currency and charging gadgetry in China

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Currency and charging gadgetry in China

Postby saturnine » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:18 pm

Looking forward to Roam China tour later this month- am looking for advice on what currency to bring spending money in- USD or Yuan or a bit of both? I
s it easy to exchange once there? I will bring debit card for ATM and a VISA card as well but I know I'll need cash on hand for most things...
Anyone know if they have cigarette chargers on the trains that I can use to charge my laptop and other gadgets?
Thanks and happy trails---
saturnine
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Currency and charging gadgetry in China

Postby tletter » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:29 am

saturnine wrote:what currency to bring spending money in- USD or Yuan or a bit of both? I
s it easy to exchange once there?

We brought $US and exchanged them at banks for Yuan as required. I'll definitely need Yuan as that is the currency generally used in China and Tibet.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Please feel free to check out my travel website at http://travelogues.x10.mx/
tletter
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Re: Currency and charging gadgetry in China

Postby Mikeyt » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:32 pm

Hi,

I was in China over the summer, I brought Yuan with me, and didn't use any other currency (Canadian dollars). I used one ATM at the hotel and had no issues. Mastercard at a few places (Tourist areas) and again, had no issues.

Side note, pin numbers are used on the mastercard/visa. And, the way I remembered my numbers is by letters. The keypads didnt have the lettering on them, just numercial, so, it took me a few tries to get it right. :)

Over night train to Xi'an, I don't recall using a plug in the room. Nor my fellow travellers. Though, we ended up talking and sleeping mostly so I don't think it was a concern for us.

As to the charger, I would suggest you make sure adapters is three pronged for Japan. I had brought two adapters, one was two, and the other third. For some reason, many of the plugs in China require the use of the third prong. Not sure why, mine was just a fake plastic part but maybe the plug has a trigger in it.

Mike
Mikeyt
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Return to Asia