Clothing/footwear for Thailand in January

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Clothing/footwear for Thailand in January

Postby heatherfeather » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:04 pm

I'm going on the northern hilltribes trip near the end of January and was wondering what the best footwear and clothing would be? Thanks!
heatherfeather
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Clothing/footwear for Thailand in January

Postby kateyb » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:50 pm

I wore trail runners for the trip and felt it was more than enough. Hiking boots would be overkill. I went in March and it was hut and humid. Even at night it didn't get very cold. Bring layers.
kateyb
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby heatherfeather » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:41 pm

Thanks so much for the info! :):)
heatherfeather

Postby sissy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:09 am

Heatherfeather,

When are you going on your Northern Hilltribes trip to Thailand? I am also going on a Thailand trip with G Adventures and I leave on January 26, 2013.
sissy
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby travellingandy » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:29 pm

i did this trek last year. The terrain isnt demanding and it is only for 4-6 hours but you will need a pair of shoes with grip on the bottom. I wore trainers and regretted it as i slipped on the mud at every corner. Hiking boots would be over-kill i agree though.

Ideally you want a cheap pair of boots that come to the ankle and have grip on bottom. Go to one of those cheap bargain basement shoe shops. Oh, and they shouldnt cost more than £20. After all, they will be covered in mud at the end of the northern tour and you will probably want to just chuck them away into a clothes bank bin before you go south!
travellingandy

Return to Asia