China questions :)

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

China questions :)

Postby laura_e » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:39 pm

Hi

Im booked on to the China express departing next week eeek :) i've read on the trip notes that our bag shouldnt be too big - my tour is part of a round the world trip so I need a big rucksack of around 20kg.. Will this be OK?

Also...what sort of clothes would you recommend for the first 2 weeks of October?? Just having last minute packing panics!

Do I need walking boots for the great wall of china or will somethign like converse be OK?

That's all..for now :-)
X
laura_e
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: China questions :)

Postby sprinter » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:52 pm

The great wall at least where Gap took my tour was like walk on a stone path. Normal walking shoes will be fine.

Where will you be going in China?
sprinter
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby mike433 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:58 pm

Hi Laura,

I did the China express last year. I think its changed slightly from when i did it but its not too dissimilar.

Your questions:

Great wall footwear: Its like sprinter says, a stone path. I wore regular trainers and they were fine for an afternoons walk on it, no foot problems. You could upgrade to walking boots if you like but i would only use them if you already have them with you on your travels. Taking them just for this purpose is probably a bit over kill. Oh i thoroughly recommend doing to tobogan at the great wall if you get the chance. It was great fun.

Baggage: I had a big ruck sack that was abou 15-16kgs and it was fine. The only things that matter with the size of your bag are your own comfort walking with it (walking isnt too far with heavy bags) and it has to fit under the bottom bunk on the overnight train. I think your rucksack should be fine if theres around 20kg in it. Also, should you run out of room under the bottom bunk there is a small space for stuff inbetween the top bunks above the door way. its not masses of room but its ok to use as a small over flow for stuff.

Clothing: I went late November and it was tolerably cold. Basically i went out with a layer of thermals,a jumper and a jacket most days. Given you are going in october it will be warmer but i'd take some thermals just in case.

If you have any other questions about this trip give me a shout. Happy traveling :)
mike433
User Rank: Traveller

Postby alabama-on-tour » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:15 pm

Hello!!

I'm just back from China, on the China Essential tour. I wore Converse for the Great Wall and had no problems at all. I would say be careful with your bag weight as we did carry our bags quite a bit during transfers.

China is awesome, so interesting...I've just looked at your trip and the Acrobat Show in Shanghai is incredible...dont miss it!!

It was warm in Septmember but take a hoodie or a fleece and some trousers & a rain coat. When it rains...it rains.

:D
alabama-on-tour

Postby lcs123 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:01 pm

Hi,

I'm off on the China Express tour in a week.
I was wondering how the days in Beijing work, is there enough time to see the Summer Palace, Temple of Heaven, Great Wall etc?

thanks!
lcs123

Postby mike433 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:05 am

ICS123 with the group you do the great wall, forbidden city and Tienanmen square. There is a bit of free time which you could probably cram in either the summer palace or temple of heaven. I had an extra day before the tour started to do all that so I hope you have extra time so you don't miss out. Personally if it comes to a choice between the 2 i'd pick the summer palace over the temple of heaven, but they are both worth seeing
mike433

Return to Asia