Delhi - What to do?

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Delhi - What to do?

Postby markj » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:39 am

I am going to be in Dehli for 2 days at the begining of October and this will be my first time in India. Any recommendations on things to do or what is a must see in Delhi?

Thanks in advance,
Mark
markj
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Delhi - What to do?

Postby jo-burgess » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:32 am

I went last year and it was brilliant, I would really recommend just getting a cycle rickshaw through old Delhi. You get to see some amazing sights and the tiny ally's filled with food stalls, shops, spices and everyone going about their daily life was amazing.

I would also recommend the Jami Masjid (Friday mosque) and if you can take a trip to the red fort too. These were both beautiful.

In New Delhi the Gate of India is a must along with the visit Raj Ghat where the memorial gardens the of Mahatma Ghandi are. This is just beautiful with the ever burning flame and a good place to see.

I hope you enjoy let me know if you have any more questions! X
jo-burgess
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby moviegeekjn » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:54 pm

Lotus Temple is very beautiful and worthwhile visit.
moviegeekjn
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby chardonais » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:48 pm

Qutab Minar is pretty interesting. As mentioned above, Old Delhi is great. If you like markets, then the spice market there is a must-see (take a scarf to cover your nose if needed, the spices can get pretty potent! In a good way.....) and the oldest mosque in Delhi is there as well. The scarf can do double duty to cover your shoulders/arms in the mosque. My tshirt didn't suffice, so they gave me this muumuu looking thing to put on - trust me, take a scarf :)

chardonais
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby whatcher » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:38 pm

Hello,

If you get a chance, Karim's in Old Delhi near Jama Masjid has really great food. They're very reasonably priced too. A cycle rickshaw tour of Old Delhi is a great option if you have never done it before. I hope you have a lot of fun! India is my favorite country to travel to.

-Bill

whatcher
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Return to Asia