Travel from Kathmandu

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Travel from Kathmandu

Postby missjeanbrodie » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:32 pm

I have been thinking about the Tibet Adventure tour, ending in Kathmandu, but flights from the UK at the mo (for next summer) are looking really steep. Is there a cheaper way to get away from of Kathmandu?

I see there are buses, but it'd be days on a bus to get to a cheaper international airport, and time is an issue. Alternatively, are there any cheap airlines I can fly to to get a cheaper flight back to the UK?

Part of the problem, of course, is that a return flight is out as the tour starts in Beijing.

Hope this makes sense - it's a bit rambling. While I've done quite a bit of travelling, I've never really been to this part of the world before.

Ta in advance.
missjeanbrodie
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Travel from Kathmandu

Postby clairew85 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:40 pm

I booked a single from Kathmandu to london in january and found Qatar airways to give a good price (well to me being based in Aus where flying is expensive) try using a website like skyscanner and it will search for the cheapest options ons a certain date.
clairew85
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby collywobbles » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:19 pm

missjeanbrodie wrote:I have been thinking about the Tibet Adventure tour, ending in Kathmandu, but flights from the UK at the mo (for next summer) are looking really steep. Is there a cheaper way to get away from of Kathmandu?

I see there are buses, but it'd be days on a bus to get to a cheaper international airport, and time is an issue. Alternatively, are there any cheap airlines I can fly to to get a cheaper flight back to the UK?

Part of the problem, of course, is that a return flight is out as the tour starts in Beijing.

Hope this makes sense - it's a bit rambling. While I've done quite a bit of travelling, I've never really been to this part of the world before.

Hiya
I was also checking this tour out and I would be flying from Ireland via london. The flights for next summer are crazy prices so I would be interested if you get any feed back on cheaper air fares . If not I gotta hope I win the lotto :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Ta in advance.
collywobbles
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby tletter » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:17 pm

missjeanbrodie wrote:I have been thinking about the Tibet Adventure tour, ending in Kathmandu ... Part of the problem, of course, is that a return flight is out as the tour starts in Beijing.

We flew into Beijing for the start of our trip to Tibet and then out of Kathmandu at the end of our trip. There was no problem getting a reasonably priced flight from Kathmandu.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Please feel free to check out my travel website at http://travelogues.x10hosting.com/
tletter
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby missjeanbrodie » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:21 am

Yep, you're right - the flight from Kathmandu is very reasonable, it's the one to Beijing that seems to be the problem. Single flight starting from about £550. A lot of the available flights seem to take about 30 hours too... :o Shanghai and even Hong Kong are quite similar too.

Will have to decide what to do - I might book the flight back and hope prices to China come down at some point...
missjeanbrodie

Postby clairew85 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:54 am

Have you tried putting a multi city into an airline that serves both Beijing and Kathmandu. Ie put London to Beijing and Kathmandu to london. Most major airlines will allow this and is cheaper then 2 singles bought individually.
clairew85

Postby tina86 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:07 am

hi,
Im thinking about doing the India-Nepal in august (end at kathmandu) but do we get back to India after or we gotta book another flight from kathmandu to our destination??

I'm from montreal, canada, I dont think theres flight from there to Montreal? Do you guys know any airfare that I can get for cheap.
Thanks alot.
It's my first time to these kind of trip and I really want to do it, but you have to be well prepared.
tina86
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby chardonais » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:16 pm

Hi Tina,

I'm assuming you're looking at the Delhi-Kathmandu trip? If so, then the trip ends in Kathmandu and you would need to book a return flight from Kathmandu.

When I did this trip, I found that booking roundtrip from Delhi and a one-way from Kath-Delhi was cheaper than searching into Delhi, out of Kath. Going this way, you're pretty much guarranteed a long lay-over in Delhi (mine was 12hrs), but the savings for me was over $400.

There won't be any flights from Kath or Delhi to Montreal - more than likely you will have a stopover in Europe and maybe even another in the US or Toronto. I believe my return flight was KAth-Delhi-Frankfurt-Denver-Edmonton

Booking flights can be tricky, but the Delhi-Kath trip is well worth it - a great trip!

Any other info I can help with, feel free!

Dianna

chardonais

Postby katherine15 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:53 am

Hi..friend, :)
In my opinion,It is possible to travel from London to Kathmandu overland by train and bus via Turkey, Iran, Pakistan & India. It will take a minimum of 2-3 weeks (preferably more, as you'll probably want to stop off on the way and explore), and you should consider it more as an adventure or expedition than a routine way to travel there... :)
katherine15

Return to Asia