Which Thai Island?

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Which Thai Island?

Postby freshresch » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:05 pm

Hello!
I am traveling to Thailand in January, doing a northern Thailand tour. After the tour is over I was thinking about going to an island for 2 or 3 days. I am having trouble deciding which island is right for me. Please help!

I am hoping to stay in the gulf of thailand, not too far from Bangkok.
I would love a place that is not insanely crowded.
Im not into serious partying, but some choices to go and have a few drinks would be nice.
A place that has a few options of activities to do during the day other than lay on the beach.

Is there such a place?? I was looking at Koh Samet, what do you guys think?
Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!
freshresch
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Which Thai Island?

Postby sarah_manion » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:44 pm

Hi there!

My name is Sarah and I work at G Adventures base camp here in Toronto. I came across your post and thought I'd share my opinion :)

Koh Samet is great because it's relatively close to Bangkok and easy to get to, takes about 6 hours. There are some nice places to stay on this island, and the option to party is there but there are also quiet relaxing places as well. It would be a good choice for a couple days on the beach before heading back to Bangkok, but if you do have more time, I must say that my absolute favorite place is Koh Phi Phi (although it's quite far and a journey to get to)!

I hope this helps and that you are looking forward to your upcoming trip!
sarah_manion

Postby freshresch » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:30 pm

Hey, thanks for the reply. I have been doing a lot of research and think I am going to make the journey and go down to Ko Phi Phi. Im very excited! It looks amazing. I do have a few questions about that though... Do you think I should book the train or bus in advance, or shoudl I be safe to book it the day of or day before? I will probably opt for the bus, since the train would have to be coupled with a few hours on a bus as well, it seems. Thanks for you help!
freshresch

Postby chardonais » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:54 pm

Have you looked at Air Asia? Seems pretty reasonable to fly and you would save quite a bit of time and pain and sufferin :wink:

I haven't been to Thailand - I just do a lot of surfing trying to find cheap flights before I make up my mind where to go...

Have fun!

chardonais
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to Asia