Is a 72 Litre case-Large big enough for 31days?

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Is a 72 Litre case-Large big enough for 31days?

Postby emilyhadfield » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:51 am

I bought a Large 72 litre bag for traveling Asia for 31days but It does not seem like a large at all, is average size if not small, can anyone tell me what size they would recommend for 31days?

Many thanks
emilyhadfield
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Is a 72 Litre case-Large big enough for 31days?

Postby kateyb » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:09 pm

that is WAY too big in my opinion. I traveled with a 45 litre pack for a 28 day trip to SEA, and I was still able to fit in extra things that I bought along the way.
kateyb
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby tletter » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:48 pm

emilyhadfield wrote:I bought a Large 72 litre bag for traveling Asia for 31days but It does not seem like a large at all, is average size if not small, can anyone tell me what size they would recommend for 31days?

This is at the low end of a reasonable size IMHO unless you are truely backpacking and not simply carrying your luggage to and from a vehicle and your accommodations. In any event, apart from your bag I assume that you'll also have a day pack. As well, you can buy many odds and sods during your trip if required.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Please feel free to check out my travel website at http://travelogues.x10hosting.com/
tletter
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby desiree2 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:09 am

Hi

Lots of other threads about bag size. In SEA the dress is usually very casual, getting things laundered is extremely cheap and, as most of SEA is warm, you won't be burdened with coats, jackets etc. IMHO, pack what you think you need for a week and that will do you for however long your journey in SEA. :) Just get it laundered as you go. If you run out of anything you can buy it over there.

Wonderful, very humorous but true post on packing but I forget where it is. :roll:

Desiree
desiree2

Postby DanielBMe » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:47 am

I wouldn't go with anything larger than a 60L bag. I think carrying around anything larger in a hot country would be a PITA.

I always use a 60L bag and although I usually only go for 15 days my bag is never really full... or I bring things I don't end up needing.
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby Zuleika » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:40 pm

I take either a 65l back pack or a 60l rolling duffel - depending on the trip Im doing.
Both are plenty big enough. And I can fit a sleeping bag in too when needed. I did 2.5 years RTW with the 65l bag too!
You will have to be ruthless and disciplined with your packing - put all the stuff out in a pile that you think you want to take and then put at least a third back in yr cupboard - then you'll be good to go. Dont take things that you only might wear - you wont. You need comfort, light weight and layering. But you only need one fleece, one raincoat/poncho, 3 or 4 daytime mix and match outfits and a couple of decent evening outfits. I live in sports sandals in hot countries and some nice sparkly flip flops for going out in the evening or the beach - Asia is perfect for all this. In Thailand and elsewhere everyone buys the fishermens pants to hang out in so I found I didnt even wear my own clothes. Clothes are cheap everywhere.
There are laundries everywhere, and you can buy stuff you run out of no problem.
Cut down on toiletries by taking miniatures or all-in-one all-purpose shower gel/shampoo/clothes wash.

Also I find I cant really lift it if its too heavy, and also being overladen in a very hot country is really really no fun at all - you will be envious of all those lightweight packers!
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby jessiejones » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:06 am

I think it is a bit large when you are backpacking. I personally wont prefer carrying such a large bag, as it is really inconvenient to carry during transit. An ideal combination would be two medium sized bags may be 50l each if you are planning for a long trip. I personally carry two Victorinox Luggage bags which almost stores everything just perfectly.
jessiejones

Postby ballu » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:11 pm

My pack is 70L, but not stuffed full when I travel. You can do laundry in any stop you stay in for at least 2 nights.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby emsytravels » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:01 am

I've got a 60l bag plus 10l backpack and actually find it a bit small for trips! But... it is lighter than everyone else's which is good.

I reckon the ideal is 70l with a daypack of 15-20l (just for space, not for carrying heavy weight)
so yes, it's perfect!
emsytravels

Return to Asia