Vaccinations for India!

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Vaccinations for India!

Postby fayeindia » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:02 pm

Just getting my jabs for India and can't decide whether to have the Rabies injections or not!

Any thoughts?
fayeindia
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Vaccinations for India!

Postby whatcher » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:42 pm

Hello,

How long are you spending in India? I've been three times for two weeks at a time and didn't bother with the rabies injection. I just stayed away from wild animals like monkeys and street dogs and was fine. I did, however, get Hep. A+B shots and Typhoid shots.

-Bill
whatcher
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby courts09 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:36 pm

I'd consider getting the rabies shots. Rabies is a problem in India and having the shots in advance will give you more time to get to a hospital with the immunogloubin if you were to get bitten.

It's not a cheap vaccine but it does give you several years protection so it is a good investment if you are planning on traveling a fair bit.

Stories and tips from SE Asia and beyond http://madtotravel.wordpress.com/
courts09
User Rank: Traveller

Postby jaycw » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:15 am

Personally I think its a bit overkill. If you wanna spend the money and dont mind more injections than go for it but I guess its one of those "what ifs" in life. Citizens of first world countries tend to be a little paranoid when usually they are going to the more touristy areas where these are not as much of a problem, however, if you drive your car than you might as well wear a seatbelt if its available.
Me personally, I never got that vaccine or took malaria pills or anything like that except hep. vaccinations and yellow fever(mandatory for amazon) and I was fine in all my travels and I have been to India.
jaycw
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby desiree2 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:24 am

Hi
I spent 5 weeks in India and didn't really think about a rabies shot. As you are probably aware, even with the vaccination you still need to seek treatment but you have a longer period of time to do so. If you are going to remote areas and feel you may not be able to seek medical assistance in time, then perhaps you could consider it. As with all vaccinations/medications, it is really a personal thing.
Desiree
desiree2
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby christina222 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:15 am

I'm off next week to Delhi and decided against it, unless you doing allot of work with animals, I think its allot of money for a small risk.
xxxxx
christina222
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby fayeindia » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:11 pm

Thanks guys!! thats made me feel a bit better now :)

christina - dont suppose youre on the delhi - goa tour?! :D
fayeindia

Postby mike433 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:58 am

Hi guys,

Been reading this thread and I wasn't going to bother with the rabies shot but I am curious if people bothered with Malaria pills at all? I'm doing the Delhi to Kathmandu Adventure and I got this 'malaria map' online and it says I'm going to some high and low risk malaria areas. Just wondering if people were taking malaria pills or not bothering?

Mike
mike433

Postby Fieter » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:44 am

Hi everyone!

To answer your question Mike, I will take the malariapills (malarone) for the Delhi-Kathmandu trip... I have done a bit of traveling and I always check with my doctor when in doubt... this is the first time she told me it would be better to take some things, so I'm following her advice... besides malarone I just had hep A and B shots (should be okay for the rest of my life now...) and will be taking typhoid tablets (you can have that as vaccin as well).

My two cents... and when in doubt I would say, ask your doctor just to be sure...

Happy travels!
Sophie
Fieter

Return to Asia