Footware for Cambodia/Thailand

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Footware for Cambodia/Thailand

Postby lwlock » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:40 pm

What do people recommend for footware? I was thinking trail sandles and running shoes. Will this suffice - do I need the runners? Trying to travel light
Last edited by lwlock on Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lwlock
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Elephant Painting Thailand

Postby Zuleika » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:39 pm

I know you didnt ask for this so I wont go on and on - but before you engage in anything to do with elephants in Thailand please research 'phaajaan' - which is the horrific and barbaric way in which they 'train' elephants to do the things they do for the tourists. This includes shows, trekking and painting.
Im not saying that all centres are bad but please try and find a good place that doesnt use these barbaric training methods (if you can) - don't buy into this awful cruelty unwittingly.
Thankyou.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Re: Footware for Cambodia/Thailand

Postby careau » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:19 pm

I did Laos, Thailand and Vietnam with just treking type sandals. (And flip flops for the shower that occasionally found their way outside). No runners. I tavel as light as I can! Enjoy your trip!

(And to the previous poster, you'll be happy to know I didn't go anywhere near the elephants;-)
careau
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby courts09 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:42 am

I took Birkenstock type sandals as well as a pair of flip flops and some runners. The runners were good for Angkor Wat and flip flops at the beach but I think I probably could have got by without the runners.

Stories and tips from SE Asia and beyond http://madtotravel.wordpress.com/
courts09
User Rank: Traveller

Postby fifi88 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:41 pm

I would have to agree. I just had flipflops for most of the time, and I think some sturdy sandals would be enough for any serious walking (although I try to avoid serious walking).
fifi88

Postby msb » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:55 pm

When are you going?
msb
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby lwlock » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:32 pm

Will be travelling starting March 9th Thailand and then Cambodia nine days later.
lwlock

Re: Elephant Painting Thailand

Postby chrisjbrady » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:18 am

Zuleika wrote:I know you didnt ask for this so I wont go on and on - but before you engage in anything to do with elephants in Thailand please research 'phaajaan' - which is the horrific and barbaric way in which they 'train' elephants to do the things they do for the tourists. This includes shows, trekking and painting.
Im not saying that all centres are bad but please try and find a good place that doesnt use these barbaric training methods (if you can) - don't buy into this awful cruelty unwittingly.
Thankyou.

THANK YOU for warning about 'phaajaan' - I Googled it and am TRULY HORRIFIED. Unfortunately we have just signed up and paid for the STA / gadventures 'Work with Abused Elephants' week in Chaing Mai. Now we know why it is so cheap (£389). We thought that we were going to an animal lover's paradise. Instead we read that Thailand is a hell hole for widespread animal abuse and that there is a call to boycott the country. We are NOT happy about being mislead by STA.
chrisjbrady

Postby jo-burgess » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:16 pm

If you are going to do the Elephant Volunteer programme in Chiang Mai at the Elephant Nature Park then you are fine.

It is run by an amazing woman called Lek and you will be working with soley rescued Elephants or babies bread at the bard.

Tourists can visit but there is NO riding of the Elephants, only feeding and bathing interaction. These Elephants are there to be enjoyed in their natural surroundings and are not made to do ANY trekking, paint or football like the horrific other establishments around Thailand. So if you have booked the elephant sanctuary week you can sleep easy... Your money will be going to the ONLY legit programme in northern Thailand.

YouTube and google Elephant Nature Park Chiang Mai and you will get an idea for what you will be doing. All other 'treks' are with elephants that have gone through this process to be 'tamed'.

The elephants at the nature park unfortunately have too.. As they have been rescued since their ordeal but they are in a happy place now and you will fee great to have supported that project x
jo-burgess

Postby carla87 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:11 pm

Hey jo-burgess
I am going to the elephant park in december. Just wonderig if you could give me any tips, things to expect and what to take? Sooo looking forward to it!
Thanks, carla :)
carla87

Postby sheilab » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:26 pm

I do recommend runners because sometimes you need closed toe shoes. I also wore flip flops at times.
sheilab

Postby avonord » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:47 pm

I got a sandal / runners hybrid. Lets see how good it will work. :)

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Paddling/ ... s-mens.jsp
avonord
User Rank: Nomad

Postby nytim » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:37 pm

Teva Hiking sandals are perfect as is a pair of flip flops for lounging and showering
nytim

Return to Asia