What camera gear to take on the Absolute Peru trip

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

What camera gear to take on the Absolute Peru trip

Postby paulnattress » Thu May 07, 2009 3:06 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm off on the Absolute Peru trip in August and I'm currently pondering what camera gear to take. I'd love some advice from anyone who's been there (or somewhere similar) with photography in mind.

At a minimum I'm taking the following:

Canon 40D
Sigma 18-125mm lens

I've also got the following that I'm thinking about taking:

Sigma 10-20mm lens
Giottos Carbon Fibre Tripod (Giottos MTL8351B)

Finally, the stuff I'm likely to leave at home (unless I get told they're a must to take):

Sigma 70-300mm APO lens
Sigma 50mm macro lens

I've not done a trip like this before so I'm not sure of the right balance between having to carry and look after the gear and missing out on some great shots because I didn't take something along. I'm probably going to take the 10-20 lens but it's the tripod I can't decide upon. It's a lot of hassle for the times I want to use it but I know that when I need it, I'll really need it! I like to shoot 3 exposures of some scenes for some HDR work which requires a tripod but I'm looking at my rucksack and thinking the space in there could be better used.

Would love to hear your thoughts.
paulnattress
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: What camera gear to take on the Absolute Peru trip

Postby thecakeisalie » Thu May 07, 2009 6:15 pm

paulnattress wrote: I like to shoot 3 exposures of some scenes for some HDR work which requires a tripod but I'm looking at my rucksack and thinking the space in there could be better used.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

If you're planning on HDR, I think you've already answered your own question regarding the tripod. I don't know what kind of tripod that is you described, but could you compromise by getting a small one (e.g. Gorillapod?)

My personal opinion about how much camera gear to take is everything I own, and get rid of other stuff, like underwear! Ok, that's a slight exaggeration, but the entire reason I own an arsenal of lenses and other stuff is to get a wide variety of travel pictures, with a combination of zoom, wide angle, and now HDR (fun stuff btw, but a different topic of discussion). I can see leaving the 300mm behind, but if you want good face portraits that is my lens of choice. I love being able to get a tight crop on somebody's head with a blurred background to put the attention on the face. The wide angle is indispensable. And the 125mm is a great walk around lens. So there you have it, I'm of no help!

Bottom line here for me is that I will kick myself later if I don't have the right lens for the job. I won't kick myself later if I have to wash a shirt or two because I couldn't fit anymore in my bag. I should also mention I don't mind being a pack mule while on vacation, because the pictures more than make up for it.

Best of luck!
thecakeisalie
User Rank: Explorer

Postby DanielBMe » Fri May 08, 2009 8:52 am

Do you take a separate camera bag as well as your daypack? I'm trying to decide what to take for my trip to Africa. I would think carrying a daypack and a camera bag is a hassle. Do you just wrap up your stuff in a sweater and put it into your daypack?
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby thecakeisalie » Fri May 08, 2009 3:36 pm

DanielBMe wrote: Do you just wrap up your stuff in a sweater and put it into your daypack?

Something like that, but sweaters are usually too bulky so I use t-shirts and bandanas instead. And that way you have a spare tshirt ready to wear! I don't carry a camera bag, but rather I use a small nylon tote for the lenses, filters, etc, and usually wrap each lens separately. The tote then goes into my daypack. The filters I keep in their cases, but they are skinny and will usually fit anywhere. As for the camera itself, I typically keep that around my neck, thieves be damned. I'm also headed to Africa later this summer and will be adding a tripod to the arsenal for the first time. Not sure where I'm going to attach it yet, but I'll have to find a way to tie it to the outside of the pack.

Also, make sure you throw in a small plastic bag or two (like the laundry bags you find at hotels) for a quick and dirty waterproofing should you get stuck in a sudden downpour.
thecakeisalie

Postby IncaTrail50 » Fri May 15, 2009 6:45 pm

I also take all my camera gear - I didn't buy it to have it sit at home while I travel 'cos I don't know what I'll see when I travel and therefore, how do I know what I'll need? As in the previous post, I don't use a camera bag either. No sense having a fancy camera bag advertising the goodies that might be inside! I pack the camera close to my back as opposed to the outer part of the daypack in case it gets slashed. I agree with the plastic bags but I take ziploc freezer bags which can be sturdier and a bit more resistant to ripping. When zipped shut around camera equipment they will actually provide flotation if dropped during a big ugly downpour! I have a small Gorillapod tripod so it fits inside my daypack. It's a bit tippy with a big lens on the camera but can be held in place unobtrusively for stability, useful indoors in low light situations too. You can mount the camera and hold the Gorillapod against a column or support beam to take a long exposure. I hauled my 75-300mm lens along the Inca Trail for four days and didn't use it until we finally reached Machu Picchu. Once there I only used it for about 10 shots but WOW! What great shots they were, worth every pulled muscle dragging it along! It also doubled as binocular(s) when needed :wink: I carry it out in the open around my neck, too. I've never had a problem because I always have the camera itself in my hand, not hanging loose or looking like I forgot it was there. I do have a smaller camera (point and shoot 10megapixel) that I use when it's more crowded. It's less noticeable for capturing "event" pictures and people meandering around or dinners on an outdoor cafe. When I leave the big camera in the hotel I bring all of the memory cards with me just in case.
Have fun - Peru is fabulous!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50

Postby bluesforshoes » Fri May 15, 2009 7:49 pm

I travel with one camera and one lens. I strongly believe that less is more and, while I can understand the concern about leaving something at home that you might need, I take this as a challenge. This setup has gotten me through Peru, Alaska, Central America, China, and Tibet and I have never felt I left something behind that I couldn't work around.

-Jeremy G.
My modest travel site: http://www.jgtravels.net
bluesforshoes
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby paulnattress » Wed May 27, 2009 5:45 pm

Thanks for your replies everyone. I've just got back from an 11 day trip around Norway where I took my 10-20mm and 18-125 lenses only. I left my tripod at home and took a beanbag thing. I didn't miss the tripod at all to be honest. I found the range of the lenses to be perfect. The 10-20 was really useful and Igot some great shots.

In terms of camera bags, I took my small shoulder bag with a lens bag attached to it. This was a bit of a hassle as I had a day pack and a rucksack too. I think I'll do without the daypack and take my camera backpack to Peru. It won't attach to my rucksack but I think it will be easier to carry.
paulnattress

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs