India and Nepal pics

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

India and Nepal pics

Postby chardonais » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:11 am

HI all.

Here are some pics from from my trip to India and Nepal. I went on Gap's Delhi-Kathmandu trip followed by the Everest Base Camp trek with Intrepid Travel. Both trips were absolutely incredible and I highly recommend them.

Enjoy!

India: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/albu ... 66572&op=6

Nepal: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/albu ... =701266572

EBC Trek: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/albu ... =701266572
Last edited by chardonais on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

chardonais
User Rank: World Wanderer

Re: India and Nepal pics

Postby francine_16 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:31 pm

Thank you for posting your pics. They are great. The Everst Base Camp trip is on my list of things to do.
francine_16

Postby chardonais » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:16 am

The links had expired - I think they're good to go again.....

chardonais

Postby DanielBMe » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:54 am

Thanks for reposting your pics! Just a small question. Do you think it would be difficult to carry a tripod around on this trip for my camera?
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby thecakeisalie » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:46 pm

Taken directly from Trey Ratcliff's principles of beautiful photography, from Stuckincustoms.com:

"4) Carry a tripod for those beautiful sunsets and sunrises
Oh, what’s that? You don’t want to carry a tripod? Are you a 9-year-old girl?

No, come on now – you are a grown up and you want to take some seriously beautiful photos. Do you think pros carry around tripods because they just like carrying extra weight? No, of course not – they know what the heck they are doing.

If you bit off on getting a DSLR above, then you are going to need a tripod, especially for sunset and night shots. Unless you have the steady hand of a T-2000, then you are going to get some camera shake.

A tripod allows you to do the following things for landscape photography (in no particular order): set up and take your time to compose a photo with serious intent; enables low noise as the shutter stays open longer; look cool while you carry it around; allows you to keep the shutter open for 5+ seconds for the fleeting sunrise and sunset shots; and it can be used as a weapon in a tight spot while traveling (not kidding).

So, you are still worried about carrying it around? The problem is mostly with your attitude, you understand. Let me give you a new perspective. Nothing in life is worth doing unless you are going to be serious about it. You are going to shoot that sunset, and you are going to take your nice DSLR and your tripod out there and make it happen and no one is going to stop you. You’re carrying that tripod because your serious about this. Otherwise, you can just go sit on a pretty beach at sunset and drink beer with your friends and not be serious about it… go ahead… but you won’t be getting any beautiful photography."

I think he makes a good point. :wink:
thecakeisalie
User Rank: Explorer

Postby chardonais » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:29 pm

The Delhi to Kathmandu trip would be fine with a tripod. I would think twice, however, about doing the base camp trek with the additional weight of a tripod - it's a tough enough trek with just water and extra clothes on your back! That being said, if you are an avid photographer and looking for perfection in your pics, the discomfort would probably end up being worthwhile.

chardonais

Postby DanielBMe » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:04 am

thecakeisalie wrote:Taken directly from Trey Ratcliff's principles of beautiful photography, from Stuckincustoms.com:

"4) Carry a tripod for those beautiful sunsets and sunrises
Oh, what’s that? You don’t want to carry a tripod? Are you a 9-year-old girl?

No, come on now – you are a grown up and you want to take some seriously beautiful photos. Do you think pros carry around tripods because they just like carrying extra weight? No, of course not – they know what the heck they are doing.

If you bit off on getting a DSLR above, then you are going to need a tripod, especially for sunset and night shots. Unless you have the steady hand of a T-2000, then you are going to get some camera shake.

A tripod allows you to do the following things for landscape photography (in no particular order): set up and take your time to compose a photo with serious intent; enables low noise as the shutter stays open longer; look cool while you carry it around; allows you to keep the shutter open for 5+ seconds for the fleeting sunrise and sunset shots; and it can be used as a weapon in a tight spot while traveling (not kidding).

So, you are still worried about carrying it around? The problem is mostly with your attitude, you understand. Let me give you a new perspective. Nothing in life is worth doing unless you are going to be serious about it. You are going to shoot that sunset, and you are going to take your nice DSLR and your tripod out there and make it happen and no one is going to stop you. You’re carrying that tripod because your serious about this. Otherwise, you can just go sit on a pretty beach at sunset and drink beer with your friends and not be serious about it… go ahead… but you won’t be getting any beautiful photography."

I think he makes a good point. :wink:

Smart@ss! lol

Good Point. Guess I'm bringing my tripod whenever I go on any trip...except EBC!
DanielBMe

Postby thecakeisalie » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:19 am

DanielBMe wrote:
Smart@ss! lol

Good Point. Guess I'm bringing my tripod whenever I go on any trip...except EBC!

I thought the same thing when I read that, and then I realized he was right. I actually carried my tripod all the way to the top of Kilimanjaro, and it wasn't that bad. That's similar in altitude and elevation gained to EBC. In hindsight I could've used one on EBC, but at the time I didn't have a good reason for using one (ie, my photo skills sucked more than they do now). I actually just took one of those miniature tripods with the flexible legs, about 5" tall (125mm for you Canadians) instead. But for things like sunrise/sunset/blue hour, star trails, motion blurring on water, indoor photography in the teahouses, HDR, and various other fun stuff you can do with a tripod I now see the value in sucking it up and carrying it around.

Plus, I don't like being called a 9 year old girl. :lol:
thecakeisalie

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs