how does it all fit?

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

how does it all fit?

Postby rara » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:32 pm

hi please help me,
currently i cant get everything into my rucksack let alone carry it! im like a turtle if i sit down or go on my back there is no posssible way to get up again. seriously how do you do it? and no its not because its full of shoes, dresses or a hair dryer its all honestly essential stuff (i think?) yet.... it 'aint goona' go!!!! help pleeeeeeeaaaasssseeee! plus bound to pick bits up, then what?
rara
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: how does it all fit?

Postby sinecure » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:53 pm

Repetition is your friend. Mix and match. Make some decisions of what you can live with out or leave behind. ie: leave your old shoes behind, old clothes as you buy new.

Get a bigger back if needed, then make a list as you use items on your trip. When you come home have a look and see what you could have done with out.

:mrgreen:
sinecure

Postby jimshu » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:11 pm

Go through and be ruthless in cutting down what you have packed,( because you think you might need it.)And then get down to enough gear for just 1 week.Even if you have to wear something for 2 days!Hey, no one is going to know,as long as it's not the same top 2 days running.(Everyone else will be doing the same...)
Keep up with your washing along the way.Most quick dry clothes will dry overnight.Take a line and a wire coat hanger.Drying it in shape, cuts down on wrinkles.
Every trip we've been on, we've come back and there's something we packed and never wore!So proves we packed too much!
So as Sinecure says, plan to throw away, and buy what you need on your travels.It's real neat fun shopping in all the markets along the way.And bringing home gear that no one else has got.
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Postby jimshu » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:13 pm

All else fails, jump on it to squash it down!
Do you know I couldn't find any turtle smillies???
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Postby Zuleika » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:56 am

This did make me smile! - We have all been there I think, struggling to get it all in!
After a lot of travel experience - the only thing I would do is take it all out again and be ruthless. Put half - yes half! - back in your wardrobe. Try to take multipurpose clothing, ie - trousers that zip down into shorts, if you have them. Take quickdry clothes as Jimshu says so you can wash and dry over night. You only need one jumper/fleece unless you are going somewhere really cold. I take one longsleeve shirt for layering, then I take 4 or 5 tops, 4 multipurpose trousers and underwear, this includes something fairly decent for the evenings. Thats it for a 3 week trip. If you're are going for longer, buy as you go - you will soon be sick of the sight of those same old clothes - lol!
I always pack my bag with my boots/shoes that i will wear in the pack too, and then take them out to wear leaving a space - that space can then be filled with all the things I buy! Or you can post souvenirs home.

I wouldnt recommend you buy a bigger bag - if you cant carry this one you wont be able to carry a bigger heavier one!
If you are taking a sleeping bag - can this be strapped on to the outside?

Good luck - you will be really glad if you dont overpack, it is a hassle trying to stuff an over filled bag every morning to move on everyday.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby JaliscoJudy » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:41 pm

Take dirt-colored clothes. NO WHITE!
JaliscoJudy

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs