My digital camera does not use AA Batteries

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

My digital camera does not use AA Batteries

Postby Alyssa » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:44 pm

Hi there,

I will be doing the 4 day Inca Trail hike in October and I'm worried about not having enough battery power for my Nikon Coolpix 3700 camera that runs on a rechargeable Li-ion battery not AA batteries. I won't be able to recharge the batteries at the end of each day and only have one spare battery. A spare battery cost $30 USD each and even if I buy 2 more I don't know if that will be enough. I will be taking hundreds of pictures throughout the hike and do not want to limit myself with the spectacular scenery. Will I have to buy a new digital camera that will run on AA batteries so I can bring tons of spare batteries?

I would appreciate any advice and recommendations. Thank you in advance for your help! :D

Alyssa
Alyssa
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby little_miss_sunshine » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:56 am

Hiya,
I'd get at least one spare, but you might also want to consider investing in a "solio" or similar (see http://www.solio.com) - it's a portable solar charger. A colleague of mine has one and loves it - it's very environmentally friendly too!
happy trails
lms
little_miss_sunshine
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby LadyBird » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:59 am

Alyssa,

When your on the trail turn off the LCD function. Just be patient and look at all your photos when you get back.

You should be able to take triple the amount of photos if you don't use the LCD.

Maybe if you got one spare battery you'd be fine.
LadyBird

Postby cantrekker » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:48 pm

Taking extra memory cards helps save the battery as well. When I was in Italy, the extra cards came in handy as I didn't have to delete anything until I came home. I was nervous I hit the wrong button. When my sister was in mexico, they dropped their camera on the last day, and they lost the last three days of their vacation photos.
cantrekker

Postby Alyssa » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:40 pm

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! :D

I checked out the Solio website and it's a cool looking device. Unfortunately my battery charger has an AC adapter plug which is not compatible with the Solio.

Alyssa
Alyssa

Postby questlove » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:31 pm

check for off-brand versions of your battery on adorama.com i ended up getting two extra batteries for like $25 each & i just got back from the Inca Trail and it was plenty, and i took like 1500 pictures in two days, much to the annoyance of my co-travellers.

i took 3 total batteries & 4 2Gig memory cards (rather than 2 4gig), plus a 'Wolverine' flash pack to copy the pictures over if i needed to (which i didnt).

i would at least have one extra battery. you'll be able to charge on the last night of the trip (before machu picchu), though there's only one plugin in the bar, it was empty the whole time i was i there

hope this helps - L
questlove
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby DmitriMarkine » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:34 pm

http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/se ... %20charger

A friend of mine just bought one of those chargers. He went on a trip right after,so I can't tell you if it's good or not.

Other than that,check ebay. I always buy batteries from them. Your battery is about $6-7 each with shipping included. Beats paying $50 at Future Shop
DmitriMarkine
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs