Oh, Bugger: The Bot Fly

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Oh, Bugger: The Bot Fly

Postby astralcompanion » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:20 am

I've heard of, seen its consequences in action (via UTube) and was reminded in a recent of article about the Bot Fly.

I'm going to Costa Rica in a few weeks and I know that the Bot Fly is commonly found in Cental America. While it generally seems harmless to humans if infected, the removal process looks grotesque, makes my skin crawl, and I've watched one too many sci-fi movies about human impregnation that my imagination precedes my usually calm and cool exterior. Has anyone ever had any encounters with the Bot Fly in Costa Rica (any specific region?) and had to go through the removal process? Were you paralyzed by the fear that something alien and menacing was growing and wiggling around inside of you and had visions of Jeff Goldblum in 'The Fly' or of that poor sap in 'Alien'?

How common and how much of a nuisance is it really in Costa Rica? I'm guessing there's not much you can do to minimize your chance of getting bit in particular by an infected host other than the usual precautionary DEET bath, but my imagination demands extermination of the bugger altogether.
"Two great talkers will not travel far together." -- Spanish Proverb
astralcompanion
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs