Photos of Peru, Bolivia and Chile

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Photos of Peru, Bolivia and Chile

Postby Bencito » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:28 pm

Just discovered this forum. :D

Peru - http://travel.webshots.com/album/560382955oGYhmE
Bolivia - http://travel.webshots.com/album/560439719jmeJng
Chile - http://travel.webshots.com/album/560444295OWfWou

I joined the Gap adventure tour Southern Divide from Lima to Santiago (along with Bolivia and Chile) in June 2006. These places have been on my list for so long that it was great to finally see them!

My photo album covers the following places in Peru:

Day 1 – Lima – capital with stunning Spanish colonial architecture.

Day 2 and 3 – we flew to Cuzco – beautiful Spanish colonial architecture (many on top of Inca foundations) with amazing Inca ruins close by. We visited the main square with its Cathedral and nearby Inca ruins like Sacsayhuaman and Tipon.

Day 4 – hiking the sacred valley to go to Ollantaytambo. I am not a hiker and did not really enjoy the hike, but my tourmates did. Ollantaytambo is very interesting with traditional Inca architecture and fortress.

Day 5 – we took the train to Aguas Calientes from Ollantaytambo and rested for a day in Aguas Calientes – a touristy town with beautiful setting. The hot spring was nice and relaxing!

Day 6 – in the morning, we took the bus for a guided tour of Machu Picchu. The Inca stonework is really remarkable and the setting is very pretty. There was one local boy who followed our bus when we left Machu Picchu. He was allowed to go on the bus and sang for us…Then we returned to Aguas Calientes, and then Cuzco.

Day 7 – another free day in Cuzco. I went to the tourist and local markets plus the colourful Folklore show.

Day 8 – we departed for Puno and relaxed for the day. It was pretty cold in Puno! The Cathedral of Puno is beautiful.

Day 9 – we had a wonderful tour of Lake Titikaka with the Uros Floating Islands and Taquile.

Day 10 – we left Puno to go to Copacabana, Bolivia for the other part of our adventure.

Highlights for Bolivia are as follows:

1. Copacabana – our first stop in Bolivia after crossing the border from Peru. We had only two hours in the city visiting the beautiful Cathedral and walking around this interesting city.

2. La Paz – we spent two nights and one day in Bolivia’s largest city. La Paz is very interesting with colourful historic architecture in the historic city centre. The main square and the municipal theatre are stunning, and the Calle Jaen is an interesting street to soak up Colonial atmosphere. Our guide gave us a good introduction of local customs at the witch market. Unfortunately I did not have the time to visit the Tiwanaku ruins.

3. Sucre – what a beautiful city! The constitutional capital of Bolivia is definitely a highlight of my trip, and we spent around two days there! The historic centre is a World Heritage site, and the white washed buildings are really pretty. An interesting day trip is the dinosaur footprint area.

4. Potosi – the weather started to get cold in Potosi. Potosi boasts a world heritage historic district and a very impressive museum – Casa de Moneda. We went to a local market to get warm clothing for our trip to the Salt Flats. The prices of the items were very reasonable! I got a nice winter jacket for around $16 Canadian and it is good for winter in Canada!

5. The Salt Flats – the weather in winter has been really nice in Copacabana, La Paz and Sucre. In Potosi, it was already dropping to zero degrees celsius….at the Salt Flats, it was really cold and fortunately I got warm clothing items in Potosi or my trip would have been very unpleasant! The accommodation in the Salt Flats was very basic, and we had to sleep in the sleeping bags as there was no heat in the hotels. Definitely it was some of the coldest days in my life… Yet this trip was one of the most interesting and unforgettable part of my journey. Besides the stunning scenery, the visits to local villages, salt hotels provide insights into local life. After three days in the Salt Flats, we went off to Chile.

Overall, Bolivia is fantastic. The cost is very reasonable, and our tour offers very good and comfortable accommodation in La Paz and Sucre. The food was great and cheap! I tried Quinoa soup, llama and Alpaca Steaks, Pique a lo Macho, and the chocolates in Sucre are really good!

Highlights for Chile are as follows:

Day 1 – arriving from the cold cold salt flats of Bolivia to much warmer San Pedro de Atacama! It was a welcoming change. We just relaxed in town.

Day 2 – free morning in the charming town of San Pedro de Atacama with distinctive architecture, then a visit to the beautiful Valley of the Moon.

Day 3 - my tour leader arranged a tour of archaeological sites around San Pedro for me. Definitely another highlight to explore the culture of the ancient Atacameño people. Then we flew to Santiago de Chile.

Day 4 – Explore the busy capital of Chile with a mix of modern and elegant historic architecture. This is my second time tin Santiago and I love it just as much as the first time. The highlights of Santiago for me are the Plaza de Armas, the Main Cathedral, Palacio de la Moneda, the colourful neighbourhoods of Bellavista, Paris – Londres and Dieciocho Street and the Cerro Santa Lucia. This was also the first time I visited the elegant Fine Arts Museum and the Palacio Cousiño – well worth a visit if you are in Santiago. I loved the seafood they served at the Central Market – Congrio Frito and seafood empanada are my favourite!

Day 5 – flew home!

Hope you enjoy the photos and find them helpful with your trip planning.
:)
Bencito
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Photos of Peru, Bolivia and Chile

Postby beer » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:19 pm

Beautiful pictures.

In oktober it's my turn to make this trip and I can't wait to leave Holland and fly to Lima!
beer

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs