Travel disaster stories

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: Travel disaster stories

Postby Zuleika » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:27 pm

I know what you mean Onyx - my best friend was booked and supposed to be on the Zeebrugge ferry - the one that sank and loads of people drowned - but she got stuck in a traffic jam in Belgium and just missed it.
Luck or providence?
Thank god she missed it.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby webba » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:57 pm

onyx007 wrote:
Or last year I was flying with Air France out of Rio de Janeiro to Paris and a month later the airlines crash on the same line.

So I'm really lucky to be alive and not having any "bad" tales to tell from my own journeys.

This reminded me of the story of that poor woman who missed that Air France flight from Rio to Paris, had to take a later flight, and then was killed in a car crash a few days later. Talk about a final destination type story.
webba
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby DanielBMe » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:25 pm

Must not read this thread before my trip, must not read this thread before my trip, must not read this thread before my trip...
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby onyx007 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:34 am

DanielBMe wrote:Must not read this thread before my trip, must not read this thread before my trip, must not read this thread before my trip...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
onyx007
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby owena » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:28 pm

Hard to match any of these but..........

Our first time in Australia we went for a bsuh walk out of Byron Bay and, at some point, took a wrong turn. We had no idea where we were, couldnt find a path that seemed to take us anywhere, hadn't seen another soul and felt as though we wandered about for what seemed like hours (probably not but we were new to this!). It was hot, we had drunk all of our water and had got into the conversation about how we would have to drink our own pee when a jogger went past us. We couldn't believe our eyes. 'Stop' shouted my OH - 'we need directions back to Byron Bay - can you help?' 'Yes' replies the jogger - it's about 500 metres to the road in that direction'

Boy did we feel silly!

The following day we really did have a near death experience when we were caught in a rip and neither of us are strong swimmers - now that was (to us) absolutely terrifying!!
owena
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby rangers23 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:12 pm

It was my first time travelling solo and i had just got into my hotel in buenos aires for my gap trip. so i decided to go change some money have lunch and have a look around. School boy error didn't take any details of my hotel and got lost for a couple of hours. To top it off my phone ran out of battery after i text my dad i'm lost :P (he wasn't happy).Plan A after panicking trying to talk to a taxi driver how difficult is it to find this hotel, i think i only had the name no luck. Then it came to me, go to an internet cafe and go on the website and write the address down.I literally ran to it, got the address and asked a taxi guy please just take me there and finally made it.
Morale of the story there is a solution to every problem.
rangers23
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Previous

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs