China / Tibet photography at Looptopia, May 2nd

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

China / Tibet photography at Looptopia, May 2nd

Postby Sierra_Travels » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:07 pm

This will be my second year as an exhibiting artist at Chicago's LOOPTOPIA event, and this year my photography will consist entirely of photographs I took during my two GAP Adventure tours last September & October, the "Shanghai to Beijing Experience" and the "Tibet Adventure".

While I was originally planning to use my photography from these trips for this exhibit, recent actions in Lhasa have made me reshape my choice of materials so it will be 50% Eastern China and 50% Tibet. It is not meant to be any kind of political statement but I do hope people will see it, enjoy the work, and come away from it a bit thought-provoked (as well as being interested in traveling, of course!).

Looptopia is an all-night event based on European "white nights" events and runs from 5pm on Friday though the following morning. The gallery where my work will be is open 5pm-2am, and will also have other artists on show as well as art-based activities and musicians in the same space.

If you will be in the Chicago area on Friday, May 2nd, I highly encourage you to come out for a great evening of fun! (And to check out my pictures, too, of course!)

(Now if I only had a yak butter lamp to make the Tibet part of the visual experience complete... ;) )

Life's a journey. Get lost along the way.
meryddiansjourneys.blogspot.com
Sierra_Travels
User Rank: Nomad

Re: China / Tibet photography at Looptopia, May 2nd

Postby Reditor » Tue May 13, 2008 2:12 pm

Hi Sierra_Travels,
So how did the exhibit go? I've enjoyed many of your insightful posts here, as you're one of our longer term members at The Watering Hole, so I hope you had a successful, fun and enjoyable time!

We have a similar event here in Toronto called nuit blanche which is very popular and turns much of the city into an artists playground.
The Gap Adventures Difference. It's more than just Lifetime Deposits and Guaranteed Departures:
Why travel with Gap Adventures

Are you signed up for bridging the gap, our inspiring travel newsletter?
Reditor
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Re: China / Tibet photography at Looptopia, May 2nd

Postby Sierra_Travels » Tue May 20, 2008 7:01 pm

Thank you-- Looptopia this year was an even more successful event than last year, based on attendance figures. 300 artists/performers, 100 venues.

Unfortunately for me, I went to New Mexico the week before the event, and came home with the worst souvenir of all - a cold. (A really bad cold. :? ) So after I got my display set up, I was too sick to stick around and see what people thought of my work! (ugh!) But a few friends stopped by and loved my pictures, so of course I pointed them in the direction of the GAP website. ;)

PS. if you couldn't see my work in Chicago, my photography is also appearing in the June 2008 "Budget Travel" magazine, accompanying the article "50 Things You Love About NYC". Their entire 10th anniversary issue is all reader-produced photography and writing, and I was thrilled to have been picked as one of the issue's photographers! The issue should be on newsstands this week or early next. :)
Life's a journey. Get lost along the way.
meryddiansjourneys.blogspot.com
Sierra_Travels

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs