Saving Photos

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Saving Photos

Postby RobD » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:26 pm

Hi all,
I am going on a round the world trip at the end of this month and will be travelling for almost 7 months.
I am taking my Canon DSLR and a compact but am wondering what is the best way to save all of the photos I take.
Buying lots of memory cards is not cost effective and I don't really want to shell out on a photo storage device (like an epson p3000 or a jobo) as they are very expensive!
I considered taking a portable harddrive that takes it's power from the USB lead and put the photos on it using the PC at the hostel or hotel.

Has any body got any experience of this or any good suggestions?
Alternatively is it possible to store your photos online?
RobD
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby sinecure » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:52 pm

I use the creative Zen W for this, it accepts my CF cards right from my camera. Downloads them, and If I shoot in jpg i can view on the device. It also will keep my mp3's and videos if I need entertainment.

http://www.creative.com/products/pmp/

It's worked great, and no worried about drivers or crashing or anything like that, that you may run up against with a no name product.

Cheers,
Sinecure.
sinecure

Postby Lonetraveller » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:18 pm

Other possibility is through IPOD. Im going to be a month on a trip and will use it for sure :)

Make sure, if you chose this way of transfering, that your camera is compatible with the IPOD :)
Lonetraveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby Ildi » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:21 pm

someone recommended to me an awesome multimedia player called Wolverine. I am on a 3 month trip and thus far i have just uploaded the pictures straight into this thing (no computer needed)...it is also an mp3 player, a video player etc! it{s not heavy or inconvenient. I had to order it online but it arrived in a few days! highly recommended. It{s faster than anything else!
Work to live, don't live to work.
Ildi
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby thetravelingbee » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:03 pm

There are a lot of portable hard drives out there now as well - not very expensive and easy usage for storing photos. I plan to get one for my next big trip.
thetravelingbee
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby PaulTeolis » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:14 pm

not knowing the countries you are going to, is any destination really remote and
not likely to have internet access or cafes?

here are some options:

1. portable mobile drive: LaCie 100 gigs or larger, and you could use internet cafes to download image to this. These are great drives as they don't need a power source and are the size of your palm.

2. burn DVD's at internet cafes, and mail home.

3. shoot jpegs not RAW and upload to a site like flicker. There are other sites out there for storage, but I

4. bring lots of flash cards anyway. Plan your will shoot more than you think.They are really cheap and I would recommend bringing a restore software, (Sandisk usually provide them with the card) and a card reader in the event something gets damaged so when you do hit a city you can go to an internet cafe and restore your images.

At the moment what do you have? iPod, drive? neither...are you bringing a laptop.
Animation Professional &
Expedition Photographer for G Adventures
http://www.fieldandscreen.com
twitter:paulteolisphoto
PaulTeolis

Postby RobD » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:58 pm

Thanks for all your responses so far guys, it's much appreciated!

Paulteolis, I am going across South America - Brazil, Paraguay, Bolivia, Peru, Inca Trek and Chile. Then flying to Australia and travelling up the east coast and then across to South Africa and up through to Kenya (depending on the situation in Kenya) with a few safari's along the way.

At the moment I have a 20GB I-pod but am not sure if it's compatible with my Canon DSLR. I also have a 40GB Archos media player.

I do get a bit trigger happy when i'm away so I think I will need some reasonable sized memory.

Given my situation, can anyone suggest the best approach to take?
Harddrive? Media device? Burning DVD's? Etc....

Thanks again all!
RobD

Postby roofie » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:02 pm

I'd suggest picking up a couple of 4gig cards (minimum 2), and when one runs out swap it and burn two backup DVDs as soon as you can. Mail one home and keep the other one with you.

I'd also suggest bringing a portable harddrive with you (like the ones you've already got) since finding a place that can burn dvds in South America might be tricky some times, especially when it's 4gigs (most internet cafe/photo store-people I met were quite shocked at the amount).

The reason I prefer mailing home cds/dvds is that even if you're robbed or loose your camera/bags: you'll still have your photos.
roofie
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

memory cards

Postby Orlaith » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:39 am

Amazon.com have really cheap memory cards compared to super dear european sites- it may not be possible to ship directly from amazon to the UK on all items but send them to someone you know in the US and have them post them on to you.

I just got a 2gig xd olympus card for about thirty dollars- twenty euro-ish and they're 45 on pixmania. you can definitely save some dosh by buying them from the US.
Orlaith

Photos / Storage

Postby eric » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:11 am

Hi,
I've seen what everyone else has written. I suggest (as you are UK based) you consider looking up " 7 day shop" on the web, they are Channel Isle based, and consider buying a handfull of their 2gig cards (not 4 gig). These prices will be VAT free, postage for a single order is around £5. (This is per order, not per number of packages).
(4 gig cards will NOT be VAT free....)

Regards

Eric / London / England
eric

Postby TravelFun » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:42 am

Hi,

Don't rely on the internet cafes in South America...many of them have pretty slow connections therefore very time-consuming when loading photos to an online site. I ended up buying additional memory cards whilst in South America!

Best look at other portable devices as suggested by the rest.

Happy travels !
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby Zuleika » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:02 pm

Apparently the Epsons are to die for - although not cheap as you say! But the Pro's use them and I saw it reviewed in Digital Camera Magazine. (I so Want one!!)

Failing that loads of high gig cards is the way I go, portable, easy to carry and hide in your wallet at all times, and hopefully infallable - and as another member said 7 day shop is wonderful, massive mark downs (for the UK, where electricals are much more expensive than the US) I get all my memory cards/batteries etc from there:
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default ... 777&r=AWIN

Also - I defo would not trust an IPOD - mine has crashed twice now and I've had to reload the software - which means you lose everything. Also they dont work in very cold climates, mine conked out in Alaska last year coz it was too cold - and that was their summertime!!! LOL I was on a glacier though!

Also, apart from Australia I wouldnt rely on the internet cafes as they are really slow and unreliable for loading up to the net particularly. Although, if Australia is half way through your trip you could take enough cards to get you there. I up load to http://www.webshots.com/ but only when I get home.
Or you could load onto a USB flash drive, 10 gigs are about £10 now on 7day shop. Does anyone know how reliable these are?? Mine is fab so far.

I think in most countries you can take you memory card into a photo printers and they will download it onto a disc for you. But then hey - what to do with a disc!
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Re: Saving Photos cheap USB flash drives

Postby PaulDi » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:32 pm

Hi,
I was lucky that a local store (Vancouver, BC) had Transcend super tiny usb "thingies" on sale for 80 $CDN for 5 x 2GB. Jetflash T3s - These are slivers of plastic the width of a usb port (30 mm x 12 mm x 2.4 mm) -- i.e. cheap and tiny)

I'm planning on downloading tothem as I go but might have enough SD card storage to hold everything I will take in a month. But will transfer to the usb drives as backup and if I overflow the SD cards for my camera.

Paul
PaulDi

Re: Saving Photos

Postby madelle » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:30 pm

Future Shop (at least the one I go to) sells 4 Gig memory cards for $29.00. I bought one a while ago and bought 2 more last weekend. Can't go wrong with that.
madelle
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Re: Saving Photos

Postby Tra_j_d » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:12 am

anyone looking for cheap memory cards at the minute, http://www.addonsworld.co.uk has a sale on and cheap (free if you spend over £35) postage to the uk.

I bought myself a handful the other day to make sure I have enough capacity when I'm on my trip, altohugh thinking of getting a hard drive back up to take along as well. I'll keep an eye on this post and see if anymore ideas are added.

cheers all

happy travels
Has anybody seen my mind? I seem to have misplaced it.
Tra_j_d

Next

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs