your ultimate adventure?

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Postby Hadleycat » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:24 pm

There are too many places. Everytime I knock one off the list I seem to add three more to it.
Hadleycat
User Rank: Nomad

Postby mim95 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:14 pm

A trip in western China will be my ultimate trip. More interested in the natural and the ethnic minority groups there.
mim95
User Rank: Weekender

Iran

Postby deanb » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:28 pm

I would love to visit there. It would be nice to see what the country is really like and to meet the people without the western spin. I toured Eastern Europe back when it was the USSR, all I knew about the country was what I had seen in the news or from Hollywood flicks. It was interesting to visit there and see what things are really like and to learn that no matter where you go people are the same.
deanb

Postby Dawna » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:47 pm

I am going on a couple of trips starting in October and, unfortunately, I won't be able to afford a third trip. I was looking at Borneo. Cannibal tribes, turtle island, Mount Kinabalu climb. This is as rugged and close to nature as it can get. I also enjoy the idea that it is not a place that is commonly explored. Of course there are many other places I would like to explore, but Borneo is next on the top of the list.

Dawna
Dawna
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby Devin » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:05 pm

This is truly a hard question to answer... so many wonderful places to see.

I'm already booked on the Antarctica and Patagonia experience with GAP next February and that will be a huge dream come true.

Another great adventure would be to travel from London to Sydney overland, there is even a company offering an expedition tour!

Before you go away thinking that isn't possible check it out:
http://www.oz-bus.com/ :D
Devin
User Rank: Traveller

Postby Jake » Tue May 01, 2007 1:58 pm

Trip of a lifetime....hmmm....I think I've already done it. I guess going overland north to south like Canada to Argentina or Morocco to South Africa by 4x4. Maybe east to west like China to France would be cool. I would need a year to do it but it would be lots of fun. Visiting all of the islands in the South Pacific would also be cool.

You could combine them: Canada drive to Argentina then sail north to Cook Islands etc. on the way to Japan and China followed by overland to Spain and down through Africa to South Africa.
Jake

best trip

Postby sunshine » Wed May 23, 2007 5:07 pm

I went on an around the world trip with my 18 year old daughter. We travelled to 26 countries and were gone for 13 months. (Europe, Africa, India, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada) People keep on asking what place we liked the best and we keep on saying, "All of them!" Every place was special for a different reason. Animals in some places, people and architecture elsewhere. Would I do it again? In a flash! It was worth every penny. We (obviously) have not been everywhere in the world and there are many places we still want to visit. - South America, Antarctic, Iceland, Greenland, Russia to name a few. I think you need to look at various factors such as time and money and what you personally like - meeting people? seeing animals? seeing landscapes? long walks? busy cities? From there you need to make your decision, because everyone who writes here probably has a different opinion about what the "best trek" is.
Happy travels.
sunshine
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby salty_dog_68 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:26 am

My ultimate adventure has been decades in the works but we are finally within a few years of pulling it off. My ultimate adventure is a sailing trip around the world...the mayan world. My wife and I plan to sail our boat from clearwater to the rio dulce in guatemala. we plan to stop in key west, the marquesas islands, the dry tortugas, cozumel, tulum, belize city, roatan, etc. down the coast and up the rio dulce. The stops we make will be to explore as many maya ruin sites as possible. of course there will be lots of scuba diving, horseback riding, river rafting, spelunking, and canopy tours. this trip will take anywhere from 2-4 months. hell, maybe we will never go home.
The object of life is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a well preserved body but rather to skid in sideways, broken and battered, screaming "holy s**t what a ride!"
salty_dog_68

Postby lillilland » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:57 pm

I haven't been to too many other countries, so almost any new country would be an adventure for me. But I would love to backpack through Central America starting in Mexica and go all the way down to South America... or Spain all the way to China... or a trip through the "orient" countries would be amazing too... ahh, so many dreams!
lillilland

Postby retireme » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:02 am

nice one salty dog! sounds like a great idea just watch out for the pirates!
:P
those overland from morocco to sout hafrica or paris to china ideas sound amazing too. i think i better start saving for my next, next vacation already, even though i have not taken my next one yet, if that makes sense!
retireme

Postby cjs123 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:14 am

"ok i think we would all travel the world forevr if we could, but if you could take one trip one adventure,where would you go?"

That is how I decide my trips: 'If you could only do ONE'...and that one was to Australia (1997). A wonderful blend of cities, towns, desert and wetlands...that trip will always have a special place in my heart.

The next trip was this year, which for me was my 'If you could only do TWO"... my initial plan was Kenya, but the more I researched Africa the more I wanted to see, so wound up going to Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa/Capetown, Namibia, Botswana, and Zambia (briefly).

I would like to return to Namibia to a more remote area of the Skeleton Coast, and I would also love to do a trip to Alaska.

So now my question is, "If you could only do THREE..."
cjs123

Dream Trip

Postby Tracey » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:09 pm

Since I was a kid I always wanted to go exploring through the jungle. I had this image of an old British explorer guy chopping his way through the brush with a machete, wearing khaki shorts and one of those big round hats (I bet I'd look cute in one of those), fighting off anacondas, lions, tigers, gorillas and the likes.

Of course now I know that those animals don't exactly live in the same countries, and there's a lot more roads now than there was a hundred years ago. Maybe a trip that combines jungles around the world?

If I had to choose one though it would definately be the amazon, as I hear that it's been the least explored even today. Seeing tigers in India sounds great but I've heard that population growth has pushed back habitat to make room for people. Same goes for gorillas in Africa (didn't an insurgent group just kill off half of the population?).
"Everywhere is within walking distance... if you have the time."
-Steven Wright
:D :D :D
Tracey

Postby retireme » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:31 pm

hey tracey..the jungle adventures sound like fun. i read about that megatransect project in africa years ago. it sounded amazing, except for the leeches and malaria and other jungle mysteries.
retireme

Postby Tracey » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:53 pm

Ya. It always seems like the cool places to visit have the worst diseases :wink:
"Everywhere is within walking distance... if you have the time."
-Steven Wright
:D :D :D
Tracey

Postby saridder » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:28 pm

Cool topic.

I'll pick my top five, since one is hard to choose (BTW, I plan on doing these over the next three years):

1. East Africa Safari and Mt Kili Climb (doing this one in Sept)
2. China - Silk Road - Turkey
3. Explore South America, especially the Amazon region
4. Sahara Loop - Morocco to Senegal then follow the Niger River Timbuktu and up into Libya/Algeria and end in Egypt
5. One of the poles, either North or South, but am leaning towards an Arctic Circle trip via Canada
saridder

PreviousNext

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs