your ultimate adventure?

Share your travel stories, photos and blog links here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

your ultimate adventure?

Postby retireme » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:59 am

ok i think we would all tavel the world forevr if we could, but if you could take one trip one adventure,where would you go?

for me keeping in the spirit of past adventurers and going to little known areas is the appeal.

i would chose to cross the african continent from east-west or west-east, ideally without any motorized vehicle support, just foot power, camels, boats, cycles.

something like senegal to kenya visiting chad, niger and other unknown countries. i dont know what border crossings are like in these places but it would be interesting.

(not sure where to post this one it didnt fit anywhere else?)
retireme
User Rank: Nomad

Postby colduphere » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:44 pm

I think for me it would be a motorbike trip from alaska along the west coast to the tip of argentina and back up the east coast. Or maybe London to Beijing.
colduphere
User Rank: Traveller

Postby GregWTravels » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:21 pm

I did Paris to Hong Kong (via Beijing) back in 2005. Excellent trip, though I did it in 16 days, which was MUCH too quick. Not enough time to see everything.

As for my ultimate adventure, I'd like to do a North to South trip of the Americas. I've done parts of it, but would love to put it all together, from the Arctic to Patagonia, in one trip.

Perhaps I could top it off with a Antarctic trip too!

Greg
GregWTravels

Postby Spuzzum » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:38 pm

An Antarctic trip is my dream!!!
Spuzzum

Postby Sabine » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:11 pm

I have had the priviledge to travel a lot so far. I grew up in Europe, seeing many worthwhile places. Have been in Northern Africa and the Asian part of Turkey. Since I moved to the US, I have travelled through all but 2 states. I have many memorable trips to talk about.
However, my first trip into South America is probably the most exciting and most memorable so far. I did travel with GAP. My fellow travellers said I had a smile on my face just about the entire 2 1/2 weeks.
My dream trip would be travelling through Latin and South America, especially Equador, Chile, Argentina, Patagonia, go hiking, meet the people, learn about the culture
Sabine
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby MzunguGirl » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:18 pm

If I had the $$, it would have to be the 53-week St Petersburg to Dover overland via Beijing, Istanbul, Cairo, Khartoum, Douala, Accra & Dakar...not with GAP, but it's still the ultimate dream. Hopefully, if things work out this summer with my dream, I'll get to drive/lead it instead of dream it....!!! :D
MzunguGirl
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby PaulTeolis » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:24 pm

here are some ideas

dakar to cape town in a 4x4...

sail the length of the mekong river...
PaulTeolis
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby cantrekker » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:19 am

My dream trip would be taking my kids to Africa and doing a safari, plus seeing all the fabulous sites in Africa.

One of my co-workers actually put a away part of their paycheck for 5 years and took their children around the world. It cost about $40,000 but, the experience their children came home with was worth it. They were also teachers so they taught their children as they traveled.
cantrekker

Postby ballu » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:14 am

Just one??? I think I'd start in Indonesia, work my way up through Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietman, Laos...circle around Eastern China, through Mongolia to Russia, back down through some of those 'stan countries, do Western China, across Nepal and circle India. Basically an Asian adventure.
ballu

Postby retireme » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:16 am

wow, lots of africa ideas and long trips! i really like the dakar to cape by 4X4. maybe i'll have to learn a little more about cars people i tackle something like that??
retireme

Postby ballu » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:29 pm

Yeah, I figured if I was doing my "ultimate adventure", then I'd have unlimited time and money...maybe more idealistic than realistic. For some reason I really think Mongolia would be cool. Well off the beaten track and no one I know has ever been there before.
ballu

Postby PaulTeolis » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:41 pm

Mongolia is one of my favourite places I have been. You really feel like
you have gotten away from it all and it's really an "all outdoor" type of trip.
nothing by blue sky and green grass to the horizon once you leave the capital. Incredible buddhist monasteries too!
Animation Professional &
Expedition Photographer for G Adventures
http://www.fieldandscreen.com
twitter:paulteolisphoto
PaulTeolis

Postby Myosotis » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:25 am

For me , it would be a trip to Eastern Turkey, with a trek to Mount Ararat summit. I'd like to see the Van lake, and meet Kurd people. I'm fascinated by Turkey since I'm very young, with no particular reason.

For my boyfriend Éric, would probably go to Italy, and especially to Sicily... or maybe Japan... It's difficult to make a choice.

Well...
If I make a Top 5 list of my "must see" :
#1. Eastern Turkey, and Iran
#2. Patagonia
#3. Cashmire and Ladak, in Northern India
#4. Southern Africa
#5. Faroe Islands

For my boyfriend:
#1. Italy, including Sicily
#2. Japan
#3. Southern Africa
#4. Iceland
#5. Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Israel.
Myosotis

Postby bottlenose71 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:49 am

well, hard to tell, almost all places in the world are worth visiting to me, even though I'd rather walk thru the jungle and visit small rural villages then get caught in a traffic jam in a big town. One place I'd really love to go is Yunnan, in China, or the whole New Zealand, travelling by bike or on foot, but that's hard when you have usually only 15 days max off from work...
bottlenose71

Postby ed » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:06 am

As an American married to a jew, for me a trip to through the mid-east is still just a dream.
ed

Next

Return to Travel Tales, Photography & Blogs